|76| Hero

The carcass of the Armoured Titan laid in the midst of Shiganshina, evaporating slowly. Nathalie was willing to bet that they had used the thunderspears and that they had managed to take out Reiner. The Colossal Titan was evaporating as well, which meant that they had taken Berthold out of it too. They found no dead bodies on their way to the other side. Levi’s horse rode fast. They could not use ODM with the limited gas they had. They were saving it for when needed.

But Nathalie barely cared whether Reiner and Berthold were brought down. The only thing that mattered was the lives of their kids, Hange, Moblit, and the rest of the Hange squad. A soldier was maneuvering in the air and passed above them. It was the redhead from Hange’s Squad, Nifa. She was holding a large syringe, filled with a purplish liquid that even from a large distance, Nathalie could still tell it was Titan Spinal Fluid. She bit her tongue.

“Levi,” Nathalie caught her husband’s attention. “Follow her. Somebody’s injured and they want to use titan spinal fluid on them,”

Levi nodded and he urged his horse to go a little bit faster. Nathalie’s heart thrummed beneath her chest. The thought of one of her kids getting injured to the point of death was one that she couldn’t handle. She gritted her teeth, and her hands clutched on her husband’s shirt.

When they finally reached the rooftop where everybody was, the two of them stood up on the saddle of Levi’s horse and they used the last of their gas to jump on the rooftop. Hange was there. She had a bandage wrapped around her one eye. Mikasa and Eren were crying holding the body of a burned soldier. It was so cauterised, that Nathalie couldn’t tell who that was. Sasha was unconscious and tied on Connie’s back. Jean had a bandaged arm, hanging from a white cloth around his neck. His other arm was grasping the shirt of Berthold. Berthold was lying down unconscious, missing legs and arms.

Nathalie could only guess who the burnt one was. She gritted her teeth. Her nose began to sting letting her know that tears would be slipping down her cheeks at any moment. She approached Armin immediately.

“Nat!”

“Captain!”

A tear spilled down her cheek as she knelt down. Her hands reached for the burnt body but she hesitated. There was nowhere she could touch him without hurting him. He was entirely burnt.

“Is that…”

“Nathalie, quick! Do you guys have a spare serum?!” Eren cried out with wide eyes and salty cheeks.

Nathalie turned at Levi as he searched for his pockets. His eyes widened when he realised his own serum wasn’t there. He gritted his teeth. He must’ve accidentally dropped it whilst running from the stones. He shook his head and then Nifa landed on the rooftop.

“Commander! I gathered all the TSF I could get,” The girl said as she handed the large syringe to Hange.

Hange nodded and she turned at the others. “Everybody back away. We’ll turn Armin into a titan and we’ll have him eat Berthold,”

“But then he’ll only have thirteen years to live… right?!” Mikasa asked.

Nathalie gritted her teeth as she took out the syringe that once contained her serum. It was now empty. She approached Hange and she took the larger one from Hange’s hands.

“It’s the only way,” Hange said.

“I’ll figure it out,” Nathalie said determinedly as she watched the TSF being poured into the smaller syringe. “Armin won’t die in thirteen years,” Nathalie turned at Eren. “You won’t die in eight years either. I’ll figure it out,”

Levi knelt down beside her. “Nat. You know the consequences of that. Don’t expect me to let you-”

“Our kids deserve to live longer than that, and you know it,” Nathalie tapped the syringe once it was full and she approached Armin. “Everybody, back away,” Nathalie said as she took Armin’s burnt hand in her lap.