|8| A New Member of the Scouts

Eren was taken into custody, and a court would be deciding his fate soon. Nathalie couldn't even believe they were thinking of killing him after everything that he had done to plug the hole in Trost and fight off the titans the day before. They were afraid he couldn't control it. Mankind always tended to fear all that which they could not understand.

The Garrison and the Military Regiments wanted to execute him, and the Scout Regiment wanted to use his abilities to fight off the titans. Nathalie groaned. Going to courts and just watching people talk wasn't her favourite task, but as a second in command of the Special Ops, she had to be there beside Levi. She could tell he hated it too but he had assured her, they were going to win that court. She had no doubts that Erwin had an ace up his sleeve and when she had asked Levi, he just said 'Just watch'.

Alright then. It was exactly what she was going to do throughout the entire court. She tried her best, but she didn't pay much attention to the nonsense that everybody's been saying. Commander Erwin stated simply what they wanted to do with Eren, and that was it.

Then the priests in the other side of the room started spouting their own nonsense and then Eren started shouting as well. But then the most interesting part came. It was that one thing that Levi had told her. Just watch. Levi stood up and approached Eren, and he started beating him up.

A rough kick in the face had Eren's tooth knocked on the floor. Nathalie made a mental note to collect that afterwards. And then another rough kick on the stomach. All that punching and kicking took a while and whilst everyone was focused on Eren being beaten up, Nathalie could focus on nothing but that tooth and a couple of blood droplets that had spilled on the floor. She should probably take a blood sample as well.

Eren's groaning and wincing drew her out of it though. Maybe Levi was taking this too far. Or maybe not. That was Erwin's whole plan from the beginning, wasn't it? Nathalie had seen Levi beating people up before, but this was the first time she felt the need to cringe slightly. She could almost hear Eren's bones breaking in two.

Mikasa was nearly on her feet to defend her friend, but Armin grabbed her hand and kept her down. Thank goodness. Nathalie cringed when Levi's boot landed on Eren's face once more. It almost reminded her of the good old times when she and Levi would get beaten up like that in the streets of the Underground. Nathalie shook her head. Kids these days couldn't have possibly known such pain.

"You know, personally, I think nothing instils discipline like pain," Levi said. He looked down at Eren who was squirming beneath his boot. "You don't need a good talking-to. What you're in need of, boy, is a lesson. And you happen to be in perfect kicking position,"

There was something about the way that Levi said that that made Nathalie bite her tongue. Damn. She had no time for that crap, she just focused on the fact Levi kept beating him up until he was stopped by the Commander of the Military Police himself.

"N- Now hold on, Levi!"

Levi turned and looked at the Commander with that same look of indifference on his face. "What is it?"

"What if he gets angry and turns into a titan?!"

Levi gave him another kick on the face. "Don't be silly. After all, you guys just want to dissect him, don't you? During the time that he was transformed, they said that Yeager was able to kill twenty titans before he ran out of strength. As an enemy, his intelligence makes him all the more dangerous, but I can still take him down without a problem..."

Ah, so that is the plan.

They managed to convince the General that under Captain Levi's supervision, Eren could be controlled. He just had to control his ability in the next Expedition to prove his worth to mankind.

Hange and Nathalie got all the medication they could find and headed towards the room Eren was taken. After all that beating, Nathalie was sure he had more than just a few broken ribs.

"Well, that went better than I expected," Hange admitted as she knelt in front of Eren and looked up at his wounds.

Nathalie approached with some ice wrapped in a cloth and she handed it to him. "Press it on your head, but not for long," Nathalie instructed and Eren nodded.

"Does it hurt?" Hange asked.

Eren pouted. "Yeah,"

"Yeah?! Describe it to me!" Hange said excitedly and Nathalie placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Oh my God, Hange, give the kid some time before we proceed to that," Nathalie said and Hange giggled maniacally.

"Sorry for all that, but the theatrics did get you placed in our custody," Erwin said.

"I understand," Eren said nodding.

"I assure you the pain was worth it..." Erwin knelt in front of Eren and extended his hand for a handshake. "...you have my utmost respect. Eren, I'm glad that you're on our team,"

Eren shook the Commander's hand with a smile on his face. "Me too, glad to be here, sir!"

Levi sat beside him on the couch a little bit harsher than he should have. Eren jumped up in fear. He squirmed slightly away and Nathalie frowned smacking Levi's shoulder. "Be nice!" She mouthed at him and Levi just shrugged.

"So, Eren,"

"S- Sir..."

"You don't resent me, now, do you?" Levi asked raising an eyebrow.

"You beat him up senseless, what do you think?" Nathalie asked and Levi shot her a glare.

"N- No! It's alright. I can see that what Captain Levi did was necessary," Eren said.

"Good, then you understand," Levi said.

"Still! Don't you think you went too far?!" Hange cut in. "I mean, you knocked his tooth out!" Hange pulled out a handkerchief where the tooth rested.

"I've been looking for that!" Nathalie cried out as she approached Hange and grabbed the tooth between her fingers.

"Don't complain! I did leave some blood back for you," Hange said and Nathalie laughed.

"You two are so fucking disgusting," Levi groaned and he turned at Eren. "Just be glad that people like that aren't dissecting you,"

"How dare you compare us to them!?" Nathalie glared at Levi. "We'd never even dream of killing him,"

"Hey, Eren, let me take a look inside that mouth of yours!" Hange said excitedly as she leaned over at the boy who seemed hesitant at first but he finally did as he was asked.

Nathalie's eyes widened. "No way,"

Everybody leaned in to have a look. "Your tooth..." Hange said "...it grew back,"