|125| One 🔴

Levi walked in and the smell of chicken in the stove reached his nostrils right away, though he could tell nothing was boiling on the stove at this hour. His dinner was ready a while now. The only light open, the one in the hall that they’d always leave open in the nights, bringing light in all the rooms since his babies and his Nathalie couldn’t sleep without an indication of light.

Nathalie had returned with their babies, way before he did. It was late in the night now and he was sure they were sleeping. Levi had a smile forming on his lips. That day was finally over and here he was now, home. A place to call his own. A place where his family was waiting for him. Family. He had been so alone. He always needed one. He always wanted to build a family and be the father that he never had. He always wanted a home that sounded and smelled like one. The floor practically creaked beneath his feet. His Nathalie had kept it clean enough to exceed his standards. She always did.

Levi hung his black suit jacket by the coat-stand and pushed off his shoes. He made his way through the dark living room and walked in the hall, and then in his and Nathalie’s bedroom. His smile only grew when he walked in. He couldn’t complain at the sight. Nathalie was in the middle. Her head, resting back on the wooden headboard and slightly rolled down to her shoulder, and then, their little angels were around her. Furlan nuzzled in her chest. Isabel’s face nuzzled on her mom’s belly. The little ones were dressed in their pyjamas, though, Nathalie was still in that grey skirt and her white shirt. Her arms were thrown around them both, to make sure they wouldn't fall off the bed, and all three of them were sleeping right there.

Levi sighed contently as he crossed his arms against his chest, pressing some of his weight on the entrance of the room and he just stared at them, and at how wonderful all three of them looked. He had to commit this to memory. He really had to. The attack on Liberio was fast approaching, only a week away. He had everything in this very room right this very instant. He had the three most precious people in this world. The thought of somehow losing this was enough to drive him insane. Let alone letting it happen.

No. He wasn’t going to allow it. He had everything in this room. Everything. He was probably the happiest man alive, but he could very fast, and very easily be the saddest. So he committed it to memory, the look of his Nathalie having passed out on their bed with their babies around her. There was a storybook laid down in her lap, open in the page they had left it. A blanket was thrown on top of all three.

“As a husband and a father, it’s my responsibility to keep my family safe,” He had gladly taken on that responsibility because what he was staring at now was worth everything that he had to offer and so much more. It was worth everything. And for a moment, he was indeed thinking of sleeping on the couch, and just leaving them continue their much-needed rest. He’d sleep on the floor if he had to. He didn’t care. Everything he’d do, he’d do it for them. His family.

“Levi?” Nathalie’s sweet, sleepy voice snapped him out of it. She had noticed him being there and she had slipped out of her rest and she looked at that smile on his face and that determined look in his eyes, which softened right away. She looked around her and she giggled, leaning down pressing forehead kisses on them both. She was still wearing her glasses. A hand reached up, carefully not to wake her babies, and she tucked her glasses back in place. “Seems we passed out,” She smiled sweetly at her husband as he approached them.

“I’ll tuck them to bed,” Levi offered as he gathered them both in his arms, gently and careful not to wake them, and he turned around exiting the room and heading for their own.

Nathalie chuckled as she stood up and made her way to the kitchen to serve Levi his dinner. He must have been hungry. When she was done heating up the food of chicken in tomato sauce and rice, she served them on a dish and settled it on the kitchen table before she set off to find him.