|144| The Final Showdown III

She couldn't tell how long she fought. She couldn't tell how long this battle went on. The people to kill were countless. The titans that attacked. They were countless as well. Even with all existing titan-shifters on their side, it took so many hours. Nathalie just knew that the new day had dawned at some point, but the thick clouds that covered the sky were enough to hide whatever hid beneath. It was still raining endlessly. They had no idea what time it was, or how long it passed. Maybe twenty-four hours of battle had passed. Lots of Marleyans had fallen. Lots of the enemy's troops were obliterated. But they were just so many, and no matter how many Resurrection Serums everybody carried, the Scouts, the Military Police, and the Garrison, their soldiers grew tired.

It was neverending. Continuous. But thankfully, the Marleyan swords that Nathalie had recovered from corpses, were incapable of wearing out as fast as the swords that she was used to utilising whilst fighting as a Scout. But Nathalie made sure of it. She made sure no injuries came to her belly. She risked burning her arms or having skin being cut or dug into by bullets, anywhere else but there. She protected that part of her body however she could. Dammit. She shouldn't even be there. Maybe she should have just taken that truck and used it to return back home, and deal with the consequences of her actions later when Levi would come back. If he'd come back.

Dammit. She was a fucking coward. She was fighting right now, wasn't she? Then why did she think she was a coward? Because she couldn't face Levi. She could face one million enemy soldiers, but she could not face the wrath of her husband. She had kissed another man, hadn't she? Bullshit. She didn't even mean to kiss Zeke. She hated that Levi was like this. She hated it because a small part of her reminded her that he didn't love her. At least, not as much as she did. He was probably in love with the idea of possessing her, and using her.

Fuck this. Nathalie sliced another head off and she climbed onto the next soldier, bringing him face down on the muddy soil with her knee pressing down on his back. Her arms slipped down and she snapped his neck with a rough jerk. She wasn't about to go back and be the obedient wife. She couldn't be that. She had tried. She genuinely had. She couldn't sit down and talk to Levi about this. She knew he wouldn't change. She had tried changing him before, but he hadn't one bit. Maybe she had hurt him. Maybe he was right to feel betrayed. But he had hurt her too.

She did not want to believe that this relationship wasn't going to work. She didn't want to believe that their marriage was going to break. But part of her hoped that she was going to die in this battle. Some selfish, mean, terrible part of her thought this way. She thought she'd be better off as dying, and finally resting, than spending a lifetime as a housewife and mother with an abusive husband and who knows how many children he wanted to have.

Goodness, she couldn't believe Levi – her Levi made her feel like this. It was terrible. She never thought it'd get this far. She never thought she'd get so suffocated as to beg for the moment to die and abandon a husband that she loved and the two little angels that she adored. A third one in her belly, that she had so helplessly protected even though she knew she was going to lose it, along with her life. She couldn't believe that a part of her hoped that she would. She hoped that she'd lose it all, because death was the only escape.

Death was the only escape from Levi.

So she let bullets come at her. She let their swords slice her body. She let them.

●▬▬▬▬▬๑In the Meantime๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Jean felt the jaws of titan grabbing him. He realised it was the Cart Titan when it grabbed him and pulled him away from the grip of another mindless titan that was heading for him. The bombers on Pieck's back started shooting and the titan came down, and then another, and another. Jean jumped out of the gigantic mouth and he took a second to look around him. And he saw hell. Or at least, there was no other word to describe it.