|22| Catching the Killer

It was a sight to behold. The top of the walls was high enough to be able and see everything that happened in Stohess District. Nathalie was standing at the top, with her crutches in her hands, but still equipped in her ODM gear should anything go wrong. Hange had predicted that the Female Titan would probably try to escape if Eren fought her well enough in his Titan Form. Nathalie was just there to make sure that wouldn’t happen. Of course, she hadn’t told Levi about this. There was no way he’d let her come if he knew.

It took long for Eren to show up in his titan form. Hange’s Plan C worked well for a few minutes. For a moment, Nathalie was getting ready to switch on ODM approach her new most precious test subject, but she broke free. She frowned. Hange probably didn’t have enough time to set enough traps and Nathalie wouldn’t blame her. They barely had any time to evacuate just a few buildings of civilians.

But then, yellow lightning shot through the air and Eren finally showed up. Eren was Erwin’s Plan B. It was going to work. It had to. Plan A and C were no longer an option. Still, Annie was a tough opponent to beat in hand-to-hand combat. Nathalie was sure that she had had definitely undergone some kind of training before coming here. And if she was here, she definitely had a reason. Some top-secret mission. Erwin was right. Annie Leonhardt and her cooperatives had slipped in the walls through the chaos in Shiganshina when the wall was breached.

Nathalie knew there were more. Supposing that the Armoured and Colossal titans were like Eren and Annie, then there were at least two more that worked with Annie. She couldn’t figure out yet who they were, but she never got the chance to remove Reiner Braun and Berthold Hoover off her list of suspects. She knew she was probably being paranoid. It was like Jean had said. These two had even risked their lives for their fellow comrades, and their fellow comrades were supposed to be their enemy if that was the case, right?

What if one was the Colossal and the other was the Armoured titan? Nathalie groaned. She had zero evidence. It was all just a thought based on nothing but gut feeling. She didn’t know those kids, but she didn’t like them either. She was a great judge of character, but she could still be wrong. Still, she had lots of experience with people. She could tell who and what somebody was without the need to know them for a long period of time.

She never knew why she was so good at reading people. But for the record, she never had anybody to teach her how to read, yet she always knew how. She could read a book and instantly memorise it and understand everything with no need to reread it. There were some strange things about herself that she hadn’t taken much into consideration. Maybe there was more to it than she thought.  

She stopped thinking of these when she noticed the Female Titan and Eren fighting. They had approached the wall on a desperate attempt of the Female Titan to escape. The Female Titan grabbed herself on the wall. She dug her fingers in the bricks, creating small cracks and tearing off a few of the bricks revealing whatever was behind. Eren was trying to drag her back down, grasping tightly around her legs, but he too was wounded and lacking a couple of limbs that were slowly beginning to grow.

The Female Titan looked up at Nathalie as if she was begging for help. She was desperate. Her eyes were the ones of a desperate animal that was about to die. Still, that bitch had killed off her comrades. She had killed off her precious test subjects. Nathalie wasn’t one to take revenge, but Petra, Oluo, Eld, Gunther and their families had done nothing to deserve this.

Nathalie dropped her crutches on the floor of the wall, and she jumped off switching on ODM. She hooked herself on the forearm of the Female Titan and she cut off all the fingers in one go. She went for the other hand, but Mikasa was already there. She cut off the fingers and Nathalie gave her a nod as the two of them hung from the wall as they watched the Female Titan growling as it crushed back down with Eren tearing her to pieces.