|77| Victorious

The next day soon arrived. The dawn of a new day was beautiful in the sky. The sun had started to rise, revealing itself from the tall mountains in the horizon, blending its orange with the dark blue of the night into a brilliant lilac. The soldiers were still sleeping though. There was silence all around and Erwin was going to let his soldiers sleep and catch all the strength they could for their return to Wall Rose.

Nathalie had no idea why her back wasn’t in pain. She was supposed to remain leaned down to him for the next few hours, and her nape and waist were supposed to hurt like hell. But they didn’t. And she realised she wasn’t leaning down, instead her head was resting back against a shoulder that served as a pillow, and her face nested on a familiar chest. A smile spread on her lips. A palm found Levi’s chest and she kept her eyes closed, snuggling a little closer to him. She had offered to hold him, but she had probably fallen asleep and he had pulled her into his arms right away.

His skin was warm. His hands, warm around her even though they had no blankets and no spare cloaks to throw on top of their bodies, it felt like it wasn’t needed. She had him. And then she remembered how cold and pale his skin was when he was bleeding in her arms. It was only just a few hours ago. He could have died. She could have lost him. He wouldn’t be holding her now. She’d be cold and alone and miserable and sad.

Nathalie shut her eyes just a little tighter. Her hands slipped around his shoulders and she buried her face in his neck just a little deeper. No. He was there. The young soldiers had found them just in time. She had administered him her blood. She remembered clearly that they had the same blood type. He was okay.

Levi could tell she was awake by the way she was clutching onto him. The thought of her needing something was enough to snap him out of his sleep. But he knew exactly why she was holding him like this. She trembled in his arms, and he only tightened his hold around her burying his face in her hair.

“I’m alright, Nat,” He said softly trying to reassure her. His hand found her hair, caressing softly and he closed his eyes. “I’m here,”

She shut her eyes and she nodded. “Y- Yeah… I know,”

Levi cupped her cheek, and urged her to pull away just so that he could look at her. He wiped a tear that rolled down her cheek and he kissed her. They both sighed in the kiss. Relief washed over her right away. His Nathalie loved him. She couldn’t live without him. His Nathalie was worried. I’ll never love again she had said and his arms only tightened around her. She would never have to. She would always have him, there, to love her, and hold her, and be with her.

He told these all through the kiss. He couldn’t form the words. He couldn’t speak them out. Levi was never good with words, unlike Erwin. But she wasn’t Erwin’s. She was his. She had chosen him. No matter whether it was a good or a bad choice, Nathalie was his and he was never going to allow anyone else to take over.

Levi pulled back to let her breathe. He cupped her face. “I love you so much, Nat,” His eyes were soft on top of her own and she nodded shakily. Her fingers clutched on his shirt and she buried her face back in his neck. She shut her eyes and sighed in relief.

“I love you too…” She pressed a kiss in his neck. “…I love you so damn much, Levi,” She shut her eyes and snuggled close to him. Her husband. Her beloved. He was okay. He was alive, beside her, with her. She was grateful.

He didn’t know how long he held her. He just knew he couldn’t let go. He wasn’t planning to let go. Ever. He only buried his face in her hair, and his fingers almost clutched on her clothes.

Erwin approached the two. He hated to interrupt that intimate moment. He had never seen Nathalie clutching onto somebody like that. She was never going to hold anybody like that but him. Levi. Levi was a lucky man. He really was. Erwin smiled as he knelt down beside the two, and they pulled away, turning their attention at their Commander.