|32| Recovering

He couldn’t believe she had actually fallen asleep on his shoulder. After all those hours of riding fast on horseback, she had actually slept. Levi wouldn’t blame her. It was a hell of a day that had gone by and it made sense if her wound weakened her slightly. She still needed time to recover. He was glad she was okay. He was glad that once more they had made it out of another mission outside the walls.

Levi couldn’t help staring down at her. Her back was pressing against his chest. She had a peaceful look on her face. Her eyes, closed. Her lips slightly parted as she breathed softly. Her glasses were still in place. She had gotten new ones two days ago since she had lost her previous ones during her battle in Utgard Castle. He could feel the texture of her bandages beneath his fingertips as one hand remained tightly around her and the other was holding the reins of his horse.

No other titans attacked them. They reached Trost District by nightfall. A hospital was going to be hosting them for the night, just like the end of any other mission. Hange’s Squad had set off to figure out what had happened on Ragako Village. It was Connie Springer’s hometown. Hange was still too injured to move and she’d be in the hospital. Moblit and her squad would get back to report what they found by the morning.

But for now, they finally arrived in Trost and they were safe behind its walls. Levi looked down at her. He couldn’t bring himself to wake her, but he had to. They still had to get their injured brats in the hospital.

“Oi,” His hand found her cheek. It was funny to think of how all the previous times he’d smack her across the face in order to wake her and now he could do nothing but press a kiss on her temple and whisper her name softly. “Wake up, Nat. We’re here,”

She drew in a deep breath before she opened her eyes and she finally looked up at him. “Oh dear…” she pulled her head off his shoulder right away and her hand reached for her eyes, rubbing gently beneath her glasses. “…did I actually fall asleep?! Oh God…” falling asleep while on titan territory, what the hell’s wrong with you?! But she found that -even being on titan territory- there was no reason to be worried and afraid and tense about. She was on the same horse as Levi. Just knowing that he was there, was enough to let her guard down.

Levi jumped off his horse, and his hands reached up for her. She could unmount the horse on her own just fine, but since he offered to help, her hands reached for his shoulders and his own grabbed tightly around her helping her down. Nathalie let out a slight wince and her hand clutched immediately around the wound on her stomach.

“How’s your wound?” Levi asked worriedly.

Nathalie wiped the expression of pain off her face and she just gave him a smile. “It’s alright. No need to worry,” She said but she could tell she wasn’t convincing him.

He sighed as he let go of her and he grabbed the reins of his horse. “I’ll handle the horse. You get the brats to the hospital. I’ll join you afterwards,”

Nathalie nodded. “Alright,”

•═❉═•⊱◄◊۞◊►⊰•═❉═•

The doctors took Jean and Mikasa right in. Eren and Armin insisted they’d keep Mikasa company once the doctors would be out, and Sasha with Connie agreed to stay alongside Jean. Erwin and all the other injured were brought in and taken care of. Nathalie searched for Hange’s room. She knew there was no way Hange was sleeping no matter how late in the night it was. Nathalie didn’t really have to ask a nurse to find Hange’s room.