|26| Near Death Experience

They were too many. Nathalie had no idea how many she had killed. She was too occupied to keep count. The Mike Squad were skilled. She expected nothing less from them. She was glad they were there to help out. Erwin had made a wise choice letting the Mike Squad protect the 104th. But still, the titans were many. They were too many. They had them all surrounded and the only safe place was the top of the tower, that the titans could learn how to climb if the five of them didn’t fight back.

Nathalie could almost feel her wound stretching with every single stunt. Every jump and attack. Her blood was hot as it rushed down her stomach. It had almost reached her knee. The bandage wasn’t going to delay the bleeding for much longer. No. Nathalie gritted her teeth. She had to keep fighting. She couldn’t let any of these titans kill anyone else. She had failed to save Mike, but she wasn’t going to let herself fail to save his kids. His squad.

Gelgar caught the attention of a titan that was trying to climb the tower. The titan reached up for the bait, whilst Nanaba sliced off its nape. The large titan landed on top of three smaller ones, smashing them beneath its large mass. Lynne and Nathalie sliced off the napes of whoever titan was beneath the carcass and was trying to break through.

“Oh no!” Lynne cried out and Nathalie looked at the entrance of the castle. The wooden door had been broken open. Nathalie gritted her teeth.

“I’ve got the kids, you keep any other titan from entering!” Nathalie ordered as she hooked herself at the tower and drew herself up.

“Yes, ma’am!”

Nathalie reached a window where she could see a titan standing in the inside. The kids were there staring wide-eyed as the creature turned around and set off to devour them. They were too scared to move. Nathalie threw the hook on the titan, stabbing it at its back. She cut off its nape before she drew the creature out and pulled the hook back, letting its carcass land back down on the ground. Nathalie looked at the kids as they all slightly relaxed and sighed in relief. Their wide eyes met her own.

“Is everyone okay?!” Nathalie asked worriedly.

“Reiner’s arm!” Krista cried out as she approached the man. “Bone’s most likely been fractured,”

Nathalie frowned. “How’s it been fractured?”

Reiner shot her a glare but Connie fell between them. “He saved my life!”

“Is that so?”

Nathalie couldn’t even understand why in the world would Reiner and Berthold and Annie risk their lives for the enemy. What the hell is wrong with those kids? Were they regretting causing so much death and destruction on their comrades?

“Good job, soldier,” Nathalie tossed a bandage from her pocket to Krista who caught it and set off to tie it around Reiner’s hand right away. “We’re not gonna hold out for long. The titans are too many,” Nathalie tried to turn around and jump back into battle. She winced and her hand reached for the wound on her stomach. “But by God, we’ll fight to the end,” She turned her head and looked at them over her shoulder. “I need you all to stay safe. Go to the top. If me and the others are wiped out, get to the horses and run. Is that understood?”

“Yes, ma’am!”

Nathalie wiped a drop of sweat that ran down her forehead with the back of her sleeve, before she jumped back down to the fight. She landed at the shoulder of a titan, before she sliced off its nape. Another one was about to grab Gelgar while he was too busy dealing with another. Nathalie hooked herself on its hand, slicing all the way to the nape. The creature shrieked. Nathalie hooked herself on another one’s head. Its hands reached for her, to grab her and eat her, but Lynne sliced off its nape.