|99| Last 🔴

It was simple enough. One pill per year. The box contained sixty, small, white and round. They were more than enough. Erwin talked a little more with her grandfather about exactly what he’d need. They did not let them leave right away. They insisted they take what they called a photograph. They had found something similar in Dr. Grisha Yeager’s notebooks. They all stood side by side and Uther drew the photograph that he then handed to them. Hange was going to hold onto it for now. Nathalie waved her grandparents goodbye when they walked out of the large building.

It was night outside. They found their brats, drunk and passed out in a large tent. Nathalie recognised the kid from a few hours ago that had tried to steal Sasha’s purse. She knelt down beside Mikasa and Eren. Mikasa’s face was nuzzling in Eren’s chest, and Eren’s arms were tight around her. They were both in a deep, drunken sleep and she hated that she had to wake them.

Nathalie cringed when she heard a loud smack and she looked at Levi whilst he slapped Connie across the face. It was going to leave a mark. “Tsk, wake up, brat,”

She cupped both Mikasa’s and Eren’s faces and she smiled down at them as they started to stir. “Wake up, my darlings,” When they looked up at her and gave her a smile, Nathalie stood up and stopped Levi from slapping Jean just in time. “I’ll take care of that,” She caught her husband’s hand. “You go out with the guys and we’ll be right out,”

Levi sighed as he stood up and did as he was asked. His beloved wife was never going to stop spoiling those brats. He could not deny he liked that. Always so sweet, and caring. He smiled to himself, but his smile faded when he walked out of the tent with the others.

They took the last ferry that was heading to the other side and they had reached the new Survey Corps HQ just before midnight. The sea was quiet, and the moonlight reflected white in the dark waters. Their brats went straight to bed. Hange and Moblit rushed to their quarters -for obvious reasons- and Erwin headed straight to his office. Nathalie noticed him. He wasn’t going to sleep tonight, was he? Like all the other nights before. She sighed heavily. Her husband headed for a shower and she’d soon join him after she took her first pill with a glass of water.

She was returning from the kitchen when she saw Erwin heading to his office. “Erwin,”

She caught his attention as she approached him in the mildly dark hall. He stopped halfway the door and he gave her a smile. She had yet to take off the dress that he had bought for her. She was gorgeous. She reached close and she cupped his face. He was taken aback by it, but he relished in it right away.

She brushed her thumbs over the black circles around his eyes and she sighed. “You should go to bed,”

Erwin just smiled at her and he sighed. “There’s a few things I need to do before that,”

“Leave it for tomorrow,” Nathalie said as she brushed his hair away from his forehead. Erwin’s arms slipped around her, but he knew she could escape his hold right away if she wanted to. “Please, you’re tired,” She said, and she had that worried look on her face as she looked up at those tired blue eyes.

He was. He was exhausted. But there were just so many things to do. So many things to take care of. The Eldian people’s fate was lying on his shoulders almost entirely. He couldn’t fail in this. He couldn’t. Erwin sighed and he briefly closed his eyes tiredly. Erwin’s smile did not falter. He caught her chin and guided her face so that he could press a gentle kiss on her forehead. So precious she was. The only one who cared about his wellbeing so dearly. But he let go of her right away. He didn’t say anything. He couldn’t dare hold her any more than a few seconds. He’d only fall just a little deeper. And he’d only cause just a little more trouble. Erwin rushed in his office and closed the door behind. Nathalie was left alone in the hall and she sighed heavily.