|49| The Battle Outside Orvud District

The Same Night.

“Please have your Squad on standby on the hall now. They’re almost ready to begin the meeting,”

“We’ll be right there,”

Levi nodded at the man and he turned and looked around trying to spot his squad. The kids were all around and Nathalie was tending to his horse. They had finally arrived in Orvud District and they had settled in the Garrison HQ. A large building that stood in the midst of Orvud, and all Garrison officers were there to help execute Erwin’s plan.

Levi approached Nathalie. She had a smile on her face as she caressed and talked to his horse. He wouldn’t blame her. He talked to his horse too, but the animals were always preferring her over him. Still, she looked cute even in her white long-sleeved shirt that had a few bloodstains from the fighting, and her black pants that were tight around her thin waist.

Her glasses rested neatly on top of her nose, but they were pushed slightly aside as the horse licked the entire one side of her face. Levi groaned as he took out his handkerchief ready to hand it to her. How could she just sit by and laugh with the disgusting horse saliva on her face? He was going to force her into a thorough shower after this. Levi tried not to grin at the thought.

“Here,” He said as he handed her the handkerchief and she turned at him giving him a smile.

“Aw, thanks!” Nathalie wiped her cheek. “I’ll wash your handkerchief afterward, I promise,”

“No need to worry about that right now. We have to gather the brats,” Levi said and Nathalie nodded. She set off and she brought the kids around him much faster that he could ever hope to do it. “Historia, I forgot to tell you,” Levi said, drawing the young girl’s attention. “There’s something we need you to do,”

He had forgot to tell Nathalie as well. Nathalie wasn’t going to like it. She was now tying the ODM around Historia’s body, but she stopped halfway, and she turned to see what her beloved husband-to-be was trying to say.

“This is an order from Erwin. Once we finish off this titan, seeing as you’re the true successor to the throne, you’ll become queen,” Levi said and everybody’s eyes widened.

“What?!” Nathalie exclaimed and she grabbed her hands around the girl protectively. “She’s too young for that. At least, let her live her life before locking her in the stupid life of snobbery and luxury!”

Levi sighed. It was exactly what he expected to come from Nathalie. He couldn’t say he liked it either. “I’m afraid it’s out of my hands. The coup was successful, but the people won’t follow military rule forever. We need to give them a heart-warming story, one where the rightful heir retakes her crown from the pretender,”

Historia was shocked, and so was everybody else. She let her head rest back on Nathalie’s shoulder and she sighed deeply. She wasn’t happy about this. “Oh, I see,” She just said. Her hands found Nathalie’s that were still around her and she just snuggled in the hug. Nathalie rested her cheek on top of the little girl’s hair and she hugged her a little bit tighter from behind.

“I’m so sorry, kiddo,” Nathalie said.

“It’s alright,”

“Hey… uh…” Connie raised his hand catching their attention. “…you heard what Historia was saying earlier, didn’t you? Cause well… it sounded to me like maybe… arising against her dad, she finally broke from that part of her life, you know? It’s just like…”

“Like what? If you have something to say then say it,” Levi said and Nathalie’s hand found Connie’s shoulder.

“What Connie’s trying to say, is that Historia should be the one to choose her own fate. We can’t choose for her,” Nathalie said.