|52| Decision

Nathalie returned back to the small establishment that housed the Special Operations Squad. The kids were there. Connie and Jean were chopping firewood and Sasha was practicing her aiming skills, shooting arrows on a target that she had set nearby. Nathalie was willing to bet, Eren, Mikasa, and Armin were inside making dinner. She should probably go help them.

Historia was sent to the Capital to learn the nobility’s manners and other things that Nathalie barely knew about. Her coronation was to take place two days from now and the people in the Capital had started making the proper preparations for the crowning ceremony and the celebrations afterward. Rumour said that the celebrations were to last a week.

Nathalie unmounted her horse and she settled it at the small stable to eat hay and drink water before she returned to the kids. They stopped what they were doing and they turned to welcome her with their smiles.

“Hey, Nat!”

“How come you return earlier than the Captain?” Jean asked as he rested a hand on his waist.

The boys didn’t seem to have noticed it. Nathalie was fairly certain the wind had dried off her tears, but Sasha was much less oblivious than the other two. Sasha only gasped. Her hands found Nathalie’s shoulders, grasping tightly.

“Were you crying?!” Sasha cried out worriedly.

“What?!” Connie cried out confusedly. His hand found Nathalie’s shoulder. “Are you okay? What happened?!”

“Did that smug midget hurt you?!” Jean cried out angrily. “If so, he and I are gonna have some words when he gets back,”

“There’s no way any of us has the guts to have a few words with Captain Levi,” Connie grinned.

“It’s alright, guys, I’m- I’m fine,” It came out way more pathetic than she hoping it to be. Oh, fuck it. She had no reason to hide in front of those kids. The rest of her tears came running down her cheeks and Sasha pulled her immediately into a hug. Sasha’s hand frantically stroked on her back, not really knowing what to do as Nathalie sobbed on her shoulder.

Before she even knew it, the kids had brought her inside, and they were eating the soup that Mikasa with Armin and Eren had prepared. They were all making questions and she was helplessly answering. She told them about Erwin, and Levi, and the conversation that she had run off from. She knew Levi would probably kill her for filling them in with their love-life. Or at least, the appropriate parts of it. Well, he was going to kill her anyway at this point. Still, no matter how long they talked, it got late in the night and it was time to go to bed.

“You’re sure you don’t want to sleep with us tonight?” Sasha asked. “We got enough hay to make a matt! C’mon, it’ll be no trouble,” She suggested. Eyes wide and excited.

“That’s a great idea, you can tell us stories of how the Captain was when he was little,” Jean raised an eyebrow with a sly smile.

Eren laughed. “Oh boy, what wouldn’t I give to know if he’s ever gotten his bed wet,” He grinned and Nathalie could do nothing but laugh.

“Wait! Has he?!” Connie cried out.

“No way!” Armin said. Eyes wide in surprise.

Nathalie’s hand clutched on her stomach as she laughed hard enough to hurt. “I’m sorry, kids, but Levi never wetted his bed,”

Everybody groaned in disappointment. “Aw man, why isn’t there something to shame him about?!” Jean asked irritatingly.

“As a matter of fact, the whole twenty-five years I’ve known him, there’s absolutely nothing that I can say it’s embarrassing,” Nathalie’s hand found her chin and she rubbed thoughtfully.