|128| The Attack on Liberio II

Nathalie hurried. She heard shouts. The shouts of children. There was no way she was going to let them stay within this damn mess. She hurried down on the battlefield, escaping the shells that the bombers on the Cart Titan shot at her. The plan was simple. Well. As simple as can be. Jean, Connie and Sasha were to take care of the Cart Titan and her bombers. They were ordered not to kill those people. Erwin had even ordered them not to kill any of the Marleyan soldiers that were shooting at them. He didn't want any lives to be lost that night. And no matter the objections that came from Floch and the younger recruits, they still did as their Commander had ordered them. Erwin was the man who was going to save the world. Everybody knew that, and everybody trusted him and obeyed his orders without question.

That was something truly magnificent about Erwin. He radiated so much power, so much strength, even though, Nathalie knew just how many times he'd crash on the walls of his office. He'd pull his hair out. He'd doubt himself in the late hours of the night- or the early hours of the morning. But there was no room for showing any of these in front of anyone. Except maybe her.

The kids were hiding behind debris. There were four of them and a man- no, an older boy holding another boy in his arms that had passed out. Colt glared at her. At the devil that had attacked his home. Alas, the Eldians weren't the ones who had attacked in this battle. It wasn't us who pulled the trigger today. It was Marleyan soldiers that started firing their guns when countless civilians were present.

"Stay away from us!" Colt cried out, pulling the black-haired boy closer to his body protectively. Nathalie recognised him. This was the man who was supposed to inherit the Beast Titan from Zeke.

"Colt," She said but did not make a step further. "Colt Grice, correct?" His eyes widened. "I'm General Burgess. I saved your brother back in the Siege of Fort Slava. Remember me?" Nathalie said as she tried to approach him and the other three kids who cowered behind him, two girls and a boy, his brother. They were the warrior cadets. The kid in his arms looked badly injured. He had a major concussion that needed to be fixed fast. "Listen, that brat in your arms is going to die if you don't let me tend to him,"

"I don't fucking trust you," Colt spat.

"Colt! Please, Udo's going to die!" Sofia cried out worriedly as she tugged on his shirt.

"Yeah, listen to her. She may not look a lot like the General, but she still sounds like her," Falco tried to reason.

"Are you guys out of your mind?!" Gabi cried out.

"Can't you see what's happening here?!" Falco turned at the brown-haired girl. "The enemy has done nothing but evacuate this place and take civilians to safety, whilst our soldiers began firing when thousands of innocents were present! Can't you see it?!"

"Alright," Colt nodded. He knew his brother was right. He knew he should listen to his younger brother, but it was just so damn difficult to believe that the possibly real enemy in this was Marley, the country that he had dedicated his life to. Dammit. "Save him," He looked up at Nathalie and she rushed to his side.

Nathalie pulled out her own syringe. She wasn't going to use it. She didn't need to. She was an Enhanced. She could take a thousand bullets and a thousand more and she wouldn't die, because her uncle had made her a monster. One that she was glad to be. She injected him with the liquid that closed all wounds on his body right away. The bleeding on his skull stopped quickly, and Nathalie checked on his pulse point on his neck, and he gained quickly a steady heartbeat.

"He's going to be okay," Nathalie reassured him. "Now, get the hell out of here! I trust that you'll keep those children safe, Colt,"

Colt nodded. "Let's go,"