|24| The Titan Who Can Talk

Nathalie and Mike switched on ODM right away, leaving their horses back. Nine titans were many. But they weren’t too many for the both of them. Nathalie hooked herself on a tree, before she reached a ten metre one. She hooked herself at its back, before she cut off the nape. Mike had just cut off the nape of another one, but another one was about to grab him and eat him. Nathalie hooked herself on its hand, before it got to grab Mike.

She tore off its skin all the way to its shoulder. The creature shrieked in pain, before it tried to eat her, but Mike had already cut off its nape. The two of them headed for other two titans. Nathalie hooked herself on the centre of one's forehead. And she went straight for the eyes, slicing them both in half and blinding it, before she cut off the nape.

Mike headed for another one. It was smaller than the rest. He cut off its hand that was heading for Nathalie, and Nathalie cut off its nape whilst it was too busy with trying to eat Mike. The two of them landed on the roof of a building. Nathalie looked down at her blades. She had two more left. There were three more titans left but they weren’t attacking them. They were just staring at them. But there was something else.

There was a seventy-metre tall, covered in fur. Nathalie had never seen anything like it. “This one worries me,” Mike said.

“Me too. We’ve never seen one covered in fur,” Nathalie gritted her teeth. Her fingers tightened around the handles of her swords.

“No, Nathalie. We can’t fight this on our own,” Mike said placing a hand on her shoulder, before he whistled for his horse to come. “We’ve bought us more than enough time,” He said and he chuckled when his horse came running in high speed towards them.

Before the horse got to reach them, the huge titan grabbed it and they both gasped. Nathalie’s eyes widened. “It went… for the horse…” Was that thing actually intelligent? Nathalie was willing to believe that. It brought the horse up and looked at it. If it was intelligent, then she was willing to bet that it was a titan that someone was also stirring from beneath just like the Female Titan. Just like the Colossal and Armoured Titan. They had just captured Annie. Could that thing- or maybe- the guy stirring it… could they have come to free her? Annie?

“Ugly bastard’s going to-” Mike’s hold tightened around the handles of his swords as he tried to attack but Nathalie pushed him out of the way. That beast had just thrown the horse towards them. Nathalie pushed Mike out of the way landing on top of him, and his back, crushed against the roof of that house that was now half destroyed by his horse. That beast had thrown the horse with such power. There was no way they could defeat that thing all on their own. Mike looked down at her. Her body was wholly pressed on top of his own. “Did he just throw the horse at us?!”

“Are you okay?!” Nathalie asked as she stood up and lend a hand over to help him up. He took her hand and he stood up.

Mike did not answer her question. Instead, he threw a hand in front of her, urging her to stand protectively behind him when the beast approached. “You need to get out of here,”

“Like hell I will,” Nathalie frowned. “I’m not letting you get yourself killed,”

Mike opened his mouth to object, but another titan was heading to attack them. The two of them got ready to fight it off before a voice came and it stopped it from moving any further.

“Wait,”

That voice hadn’t come from neither of both. It hadn’t come from the other titans either. It had come from the large one. The tall abnormal. It could talk?! Nathalie wasn’t surprised. She remembered Ilse’s Notebook that she and Hange had found. Ilse was a Scout who had found a titan that had talked to him. Maybe this one could talk as well. This one showed signs of intelligence. If her assumptions were correct, the person stirring it had figured out a way to talk even in titan form. That titan had also stopped another titan from eating them. Maybe he could order them around just like the Female Titan could. Mike was shocked though. His whole body shook, and his eyes were wide in terror.