|82| Think

The Council Meetings were the most boring thing that she had to attend. She didn’t know half of these people. The Generals and Admirals of the Regiments would sit all around. Premier Zackly would be with Queen Historia and the Survey Corps Superiors were seated at the very centre. Premier Zackly insisted that Hange, Moblit, and Nathalie be granted the title of a Doctor. They’d take slightly different vows, but they had managed to bring the entire Regiment from a dangerous mission with zero casualties. Not to mention that Nathalie had given them a way to turn titans back into humans.

The three of them agreed in the end. Historia, as their Queen, was going to give them their titles as doctors and heroes of Shiganshina for the rest in a ceremony that would take place in two days. Erwin and Hange took it upon themselves to explain it all and Nathalie was more than glad about that. She wasn’t good with public speeches especially when the room was filled with middle-aged men and women she’d never met.

Levi was sitting beside her and their squad was sitting behind them on the other tables. Nathalie didn’t pay any attention to anything that Erwin and Hange said. She could do nothing but stare blankly in some random spot in the room and all she did was think. I want you to figure out a way to erase our ability to turn into titans. That was Erwin’s order.

She didn’t know why, but she oddly started thinking about her blood type. Her mother was an Eldian and her father a Marleyan, yet her blood type was one of a Marleyan’s. If her mother’s memories were correct, the Marleyan doctors use an apostrophe on top of the blood type to discriminate the Eldians. Nathalie went back to that memory that had come to her a few nights ago.

“And now you’re doing the same. Pretending to be a Marleyan will get you nowhere. Johannes will find out-”

“He already knows, Tom,” Amelia said. She had long, pale brown hair. Dark brown eyes. She was in a dark grey skirt, and a white shirt. A white lab coat rested on her shoulders and a card with her name was pinned on top of her lab coat's side-pocket.

That card.

First/Last Name: Dr. Amelia Ksaver

Occupation(s): Titan Biologist (MSc), Biotechnologist (BSc)

Blood Type: IA’ i

Rhesus Type: +

Nathalie knew her own blood type was IAIA and she had a Positive Rhesus Type, exactly like Levi’s and that was why she was able to administer him her own blood in the battlefield. She wouldn’t put the apostrophe because her blood had not reacted with the titan spinal fluid which meant that she wasn’t an Eldian. But her mother was an Eldian, and Nathalie had two dominant IA genes which meant she had taken one from her mother and one from her father, but one of them should be urging her blood to react with the titan spinal fluid, but it didn’t.

This is insane.

Her mind was no longer there. She had to figure this out. She knew deep down that it would give her the answers she wanted.

So, let’s say I’ve got IAIA and my mother had IA’i where i is the recessive gene of the 0 blood type. I got two dominant IA genes. One from my father and one from my mother. Which means that my father’s blood type was either IA’i or IAIA. But in both cases, I still got one gene from my mom and my blood type should be IA'IA. But it’s not. So what did they do?

Nathalie knew it. Her parents had done something that erased the Eldian genes from her mom’s cells. She knew it. She just knew it. The answer was within her memories. She had to think. She had to figure this out.  

“Titan shifters have a particular protein unknown to man. That protein, if administered to an Eldian, it will dissolve all Eldian Genes that can turn an Eldian into a titan. But we must first gather all the spinal fluid from a titan shifter that we can, and then conduct electrophoresis to separate and gather that particular protein,”