|146| In the Verge of Death

It looked peaceful. The sunshine was warm and welcoming on her skin. She wasn't wearing her glasses. She was wearing a white gown. The grass beneath her feet was soft. The rustling sound of the leaves on the trees as the warm breeze brushed against them filled her ears. And Levi saw her. Breathtaking and dressed in white. She was sitting down on a rolled over tree trunk and she was holding a baby in her arms. She was looking down on it in utter adoration. It was a little girl with a white soft blanket wrapped gently around her.

And they both looked perfect right there. A soft smile on his wife's face. Bright blue eyes stared down at a pair of two smaller closed ones. The little girl was sleeping there, peacefully nuzzling in her mom's chest, and in the warmth of the blanket. Nathalie's baggy, white gown reached her ankles and her sleeves reached her elbows. The warm breeze brushed her hair back, behind her head. Her attention, entirely fallen on her little daughter. The one she never gave birth to. The only part of Levi's that she took with her.

And Levi ran. He ran. He tried to get to them. He tried to reach them. He tried to attract their attention and approach them. But the more he ran, the more he struggled, the further away they got. No. He had to reach them. He had to let Nathalie know that he loved her. He had to let her know that the war was over. That their battles and their suffering wasn't for nothing. He had to let her know that Isabel and Furlan were going to grow up free. He had to apologise. He had to reach her. He had to reach them both.

But he couldn't, as if some force was keeping him back no matter how much he ran. And it drove him insane, because he could see them from a distance, but he could not reach them. He could not touch them. He could not catch their attention at all. It was as if he wasn't there, no matter how many times he screamed her name. It was as if she hadn't heard him at all. As if he wasn't there at all. He felt something drawing him away, keeping him away from his wife and child. Blocking him from running any further.

No. He took one last look at them. He screamed for her. She didn't hear him.

"Again!"

He felt a bolt of electricity running through his chest and he gasped and fell on his knees. His vision got blurry. It got black and he was starting to breathe.

"Again!" Uther ordered the other two as they hit Levi with another bolt of electricity and the machine beside him started beeping again.

"He's alive," Jocasta said, a long-distance cousin of Nathalie's who was a cardiologist in practice.

Everybody let out sighs of relief. "What's Nathalie's status?" Uther asked.

"Steady," Jocasta approached the bed that they had settled beside Levi's, where Nathalie was resting. The two beds were only divided by the excess life machinery that was keeping them both miraculously alive. Jocasta stared down at Nathalie's limp form. Her eyes, closed, and a peaceful expression on her face as she lied there beneath the white bedsheets and the white gown that they had put her in. "Your dad was an asshole, but a brilliant one nonetheless. If your old man hadn't done those experiments to her, she'd be dead now,"

Uther sighed heavily. "Might be my only way of repentance," He pinched the bridge of his nose as he took a moment to calm down before he pulled off his glasses and rubbed them clean in the handkerchief that he had in his pocket. He turned at his cousin and her soon-to-become husband. "Jocasta, Tedric, keep them alive, will you?"

"No worries," Jocasta typed down on the keyboard of the machinery and Tedric checked the oxygen levels on them both.

"Go tell them that they're... almost alive," Tedric said and he chuckled. "Or they might break the door down and ask themselves,"