|126| Prelude to the Attack on Liberio

One Week Later

Nathalie began to stir when she felt their bed slightly bounce, and an added weight pressed down all around them. Both her and Levi snapped out of their sleep. It was early in the morning. The light coming from the windows wasn’t bright enough, and the breeze that stole in was cool and refreshing. Nathalie giggled when she looked down and she watched Isabel and Furlan both climbing on their parents’ bed and sneaking between the couple. Furlan reached for his mom, wrapping his little hands tight around her neck and burying his little face in her chest, and Isabel reached for her dad.

Levi chuckled as he repositioned his body to lie down on his back, and he caught his daughter, placing her gently down on his chest. “Good morning, daddy,” Isabel mumbled as she buried her face in her dad’s neck and she shut her eyes.

“Good morning, Issy,” Levi pressed a kiss on her temple and she giggled. “You two slept well?”

Isabel nodded and hummed in response. “I did! I don’t know about Furlan though,” She pressed her chin on her dad’s chest and she looked up at him. “He doesn’t understand what I tell him!”

“That’s because your brother is a two-year-old normal babyboy,” Nathalie said as she pulled Furlan in her arms and he closed his little eyes nuzzling in her chest.

Isabel pressed her cheek down on her dad’s chest and she turned and looked at her mom with arched eyebrow. “Define normal. You mean as in nature? Because that would mean that naturally I am not normal,”

“Nat,” Levi drew his wife’s attention to realise that she was slightly cringing. “Those are some very fancy words for a two-year-old. Should we be worried?” Admittedly, he didn’t know as much about children as Nathalie did. But he just knew that two-year-olds weren’t supposed to be able to talk so fluently. Still, he reminded himself that his little Isabel had inherited her mom’s intelligence as a Burgess.

Nathalie shook her head no to Levi and she turned her attention back at her daughter. “You see, Issy, the members of the family I come from, are known to be very, very smart. Which means, that you have inherited that, and that you’ll be able to think and understand things easier than any other kid your age,”

“Oohh!!” Isabel climbed further up her dad till her little hands were messily pressed on Levi’s cheeks. “Does that make me smarter than Furlan?” She asked. Wondrous bright blue eyes met her dad’s. Levi kept the smile on his face even though she was messily pressing down on his lips, his chin, his cheeks, trying to prop herself on top of him.

“Yes,”

“No,”

One came from Levi, the other, from Nathalie approximately. Both came in unison and Isabel switched looks between both her parents in question. Levi received a smack on his shoulder by his wife and he rolled his eyes.

“Levi!” Nathalie scolded him and she shot him the don’t spoil her glare. “Of course, not, darling. You’re both just as smart. Furlan just needs more time to prove it,” She leaned down pressing kisses on her sleepy babyboy.    

Isabel groaned unconvinced. “Fine,” She buried her face back in her dad’s neck and both parents held onto their babies tight.

Nathalie and Levi shared a look. A worried look. A we have to tell them look. Nathalie sighed and buried her face back in her babyboy’s raven hair. Furlan wouldn’t understand until the moment he’d have to watch them both walk out the door. But maybe Isabel needed to know. Nathalie didn’t want to get off this bed. She didn’t want to let go of her cute little boy that she so much adored. And Levi didn’t want to get off that bed either, where both their angels were safe in their arms and his beloved wife was right there beside him. They didn’t want to leave their babies. It was for two days. It didn’t sound much, but for two two-year-olds it would sound like weeks. And Nathalie had to admit that two days without her babies were going to make her miss them greatly. And the same stood for Levi.