|142| The Final Showdown I

Fire. Smoke. Those were Marley's frontlines. It took her all night, but she had made sure no airplanes were going to launch aerial attacks and toss bombs down on the people. She had made sure that no one within the walls was going to die tonight at least. She had made sure to kill them all. But she was exhausted. Exhausted and wounded. Nathalie sighed. Her back pressed behind her on the tire of a truck. The only that hadn't perished in flames. The smell of blood was in the air, and burnt carcass. Nathalie was going to hell for killing so many people. But she was a Devil. They had made her one. They looked at her as she rushed their way and they screamed. "It's the Burgess Devil!" right before she sliced their heads off with the weapons that she had scavenged from the bodies of their dead comrades.

Nathalie looked ahead of her. She looked at the mountains of the horizon. The sun was slowly arising behind them. The beautiful orange merged with the dark blue of the night sky. A brilliant purple that she stared at and it reflected perfectly on her bright red eyes. She was keeping the Burgess Devil to the surface for now. She needed her power to heal. She'd be dead if she wasn't using it. She had a hand on her belly. One bullet had found it. Just one and she had torn it out of her right away. She prayed to heavens she hadn't lost it.

If she had it, that is.

She could tell the bleeding had stopped. She had multiple bullet wounds, cuts, burn marks, bruises everywhere. But she could tell she would be able to stand back up on her feet really soon. She was going to drive on that truck that she had made sure not to destroy. She had learned how to drive during her time back in Marley. She planned to head for the wall and then outside and find the other Marleyan troops. And destroy those troops too.

But for now, she put up with the pain. Nathalie sighed once more and she allowed her head to roll back on the tire of the truck.

"Tsk. Looks like I was wrong when I trusted you, my Nathalie, when I thought it wasn't you. I thought it was someone else, off, fucking everything that walked while I waited for you. While I looked for you. I was loyal to you, but it looks like... it looks like I've got myself a little slut,"

"Don't... Don't fucking touch me,"

"I thought... I thought you were mine Nat,"

"I thought I could trust you, I thought..."

"...I- I thought you loved me,"

He thought she had done it on purpose? He thought she wanted to be in Marley and butcher people in the name of Marley, and aid in the destruction of entire cities, towns, villages of innocents. He thought she wanted all these? He thought she had chosen to forget him and their brats? Goodness, she had forgotten she ever had children because they had brainwashed her. They'd tie her down and they'd do unspoken things to her. Unimaginable things. Things that not even Levi could imagine.

And he thought she wanted all this? He thought she wanted to fall in love with another man? The only man that she had? Whilst she knew that if there were people out there, looking for her, she thought they had abandoned her, because she was deep into the depths of hell for three years, wishing every day to be her last. Wishing every day to go faster, and reach the limit of the two years of life that she had back then.

But no. He hated her now. He thought she didn't love him. He thought she had kissed Zeke back willingly. He thought she had betrayed him. Well. He had betrayed her too when he forced her to resign. He had betrayed her too when he fucked another child into her without her consent. Without discussing it. She wanted this war to end first before proceeding with another child. She wanted to end all conflicts and make sure that she wasn't going to be a widow to raise God knows how many children he wanted. She wanted to work as a scientist, she wanted to fight, but he took that from her, and she said nothing. She took it. And now, one slipup. That was all that their relationship needed to break.