|42| Fear

“Oi,” The boy approached her. He had a clean handkerchief in his hands. He wiped her tears with the soft fabric and he frowned. “Is crying all you do?” He handed her the piece of cloth before he let out a heavy sigh. “I know a place. Follow me,”

She couldn’t believe this. He was actually helping her? That was the most anybody had spoken to her. She couldn’t help it. She pulled him into a tight hug. “Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you-”

“Shut up, already,” The boy said harshly before he pushed her away till her back crushed against the wall of the building behind her. The air was knocked out of her chest and she almost fell on her bum, but she didn’t care. That boy was actually going to help her.

She extended her hand. “I’m Nat,” She said with a wide smile on her face, and her eyes shined bright with hope.

It was the first time he had made somebody smile, and quite frankly, he hadn’t even tried, if anything, he was trying his best to be rude and get rid of her, yet she was still smiling. What the hell’s wrong with that girl?! He shook her hand just to avoid her whining.

“Levi,” He said dryly before he turned around. “Follow me,”

He seemed to know his way around the Underground. Nathalie was walking through streets that she had never seen before. Men were all around, staring at her with hungry eyes. Nathalie cowered behind the boy who was still holding his dagger tightly in his hands, making sure that everybody could see it.

They finally reached a building. A man was sitting by the steps, with a bottle of alcohol resting beside him. He was wearing a hat, even though there was no sun in the Underground, and he had a cigar, dancing between his lips. He laughed when he saw them approaching.

“Already bringing girls home, boy?” Levi did not give an answer and the old man was forced to pull his hat away and make the questions himself. He turned at the girl. “What’s your name, sweetheart?”

“Nathalie Burgess, sir,”

The man’s eyes widened. Fingers clenched around his cigar, smashing it in half. Nathalie was afraid that he was going to beat her. She was used to violence. It was a frequent thing back in her home. But the man did not hit her. He lit another cigar, finally reaching a decision in his mind, and regretting every single bit of it. He was in no mood for babysitting. Becoming somebody’s dad was a pain in his ass already with Levi around. But that name… He should probably lift his gun up right now and plant a bullet in her head.

Yes. That’s what he should do. His hand reached back for his gun. Fingers fisted around it tightly. Levi got in the way immediately. He pushed Nathalie behind him and he threw a hand protectively in front of her.

“Get out of the way, boy,”

“I did not bring her here for you to kill her,” Levi growled.

But then an idea struck Kenny. It would be a shame to kill a Burgess. He couldn’t even imagine how much that girl would be worth to the King one day. Not to mention that the girl would wake up one day and know things that the King wasn’t telling him. It’d be wiser to use that.

Kenny let go of his gun and he pulled out a smile. “Kill her? What makes you think I’d do that?”

Levi frowned. His shoulders slightly relaxed.

“Welcome to the fam, Nat,”

Six years. He promised himself. Six years he’d give those brats and he’d let them go. He couldn’t be anybody’s dad. Not with his current profession. And true to himself, he did abandon them in the streets of the Underground six years later. The boy was twelve, and the girl was eleven. He had taught them to survive. They’d be fine making it on their own.