|40| Hiding

Same Night.

Hange couldn’t believe it. Nails torn off. Body, knocked on the floor. Blood had already started drying off on the wooden floor. It looked like he had been beaten. No- tortured. Somebody had tortured him. Still, the door was guarded, not by Survey Corps soldiers, but two of the Military Police. And not just any.

“Hey! Messing with our crime scene, Scout?! Don’t get any closer. This isn’t your jurisdiction. Assemble robbery-murder. There has been a string of them lately,”

Hange gritted her teeth. “I’m not buying it! His nails were drawn out!” She growled, taking a step forward only for the MP to grasp her by the shirt and threaten her.

“Which unit are you in?!” The soldier said leaning close.

Moblit’s hand caught the soldier’s wrist tight enough to make the man wince. No one was allowed to treat Hange like that. He wouldn’t allow it. “This is Section Commander Hange, 4th Squad. And I’m Excel Moblit Berner,” just before the soldier let out a wince, Moblit released his wrist that he was sure he bruised well enough.

“Knowing your whole branch smells garbage, being high-ranked doesn’t make you smell any sweeter,” The soldier said. “Listen, that man wasn’t killed by a titan. One person killed another. This isn’t Scout business!”

“You’re with the first interior squad,” Hange said and by the way they both tensed up, she could tell she was right.

Moblit raised an eyebrow. “Funny. What are the Capital’s MPs doing down here in Trost?”

“What’s so strange about it?! Somebody has to get the real work done while you people run around playing soldier,”

“Yes… you’re completely right!” Hange started and Moblit raised an eyebrow. He could tell she was putting up an act. “I see now I’m worthless compared to you! Simply being in your presence is an honour. Allow me to shake your hand!” Hange grabbed the man’s hand and suddenly her assumptions were proven correct. The flesh of the knuckles was torn. These were the men who had beaten Pastor Nick to death. “Alright. You said it was a robbery? Poor Nick. I didn’t realise he even had anything that was worth stealing,”

“Of course, he did! Everyone knows the church makes out all its little trinkets out of iron,”  

“Huh?! Are you saying Nick was affiliated with the Order of the Walls?!” Hange cried out. Of course, she knew that already. She was only making sure.

“What are you playing at?!”

“He was a friend of mine, that’s why I rushed down here. Except, I thought he was a craftsman. Making chairs or something. I even put that to his application to board here…” she started rubbing on the torn flesh of his knuckles, hard enough to hurt.

“Let go!”

“…still,” She ignored him. Bastard. “I suppose this is a reminder that we don’t really know people as well as we think we do,”

“Enough! Let go!” The man pulled his hand away and Hange got back to pretending.

“Whoah! Of course! Sorry! Well then, I wish you luck with the investigation. When you catch the culprit, will you tell them something for me? You may feel that what you did to him was justified, perhaps even righteous. Well, I don’t give a single shit what your motivation was. I promise you, I will personally see to it that you are tortured, and the horrors visited upon you will be greater than anything my friend suffered. Yes! Far greater,”

Moblit was sure, she had scared the shit out of them. He smirked.

“Pass that along. We’ll leave you to it,” Hange finished before she turned around and started walking away with Moblit following closely from behind. She was suspecting them, wasn’t she? Why else would the Interior Squad leave the Capital to come down here, if it wasn’t for silencing the people who could compromise their secrets?