|29| Confession

Light slowly penetrated her eyelids as she began to stir. Nathalie realised her head wasn’t resting back against a soft pillow. She could tell she was covered in blankets, but hands were around her too. Warm fingers were tangled between her own and the weight of a man’s cheek pressed on the top of her forehead. A rhythmic heartbeat thrummed beneath her ear, and she knew her cheek was pressed against his chest.

It was Levi, wasn’t it? She could tell she was in a hospital from the whiteness of the room’s walls. Had he really taken her there? Wasn’t it dangerous to go out in titan territory all on his own and rush his way there with her unconscious body? But she had to remind herself. Nothing was dangerous for Levi.

Levi had saved her life. He risked going out on his own only to take her back to safety, and so fast. She was supposed to be dead. There was a time that she might’ve wanted that, but there was something that had brought tears in her eyes the moment she realised she was going to die last night. It was the thought of not seeing him again. It was the thought of never getting to tell him how much she loved him.

But everything was alright now. He had brought her to safety. He had saved her life. She was on a bed, but he was holding her. Her body was resting back against his own, and his hands were keeping both her own warm. But then the pain returned. It returned and it stung harshly in her stomach, but thankfully, she could say she had stopped losing blood. Still, she let out a wince that she didn’t have enough time to muffle back.

Still, that wince was loud enough to snap his eyes open and look down at her worriedly. “Are you okay? Are you in pain? Wait here. I’ll go get the doc-” Levi’s hands let go of her own, and he tried to stand up and walk away, but she grasped his hands and kept him in place.

“No. Stay,” It was funny to think of how a few nights back he was asking her the same. Having her asking him to stay. It startled him. But he welcomed that request. He laced their fingers together once more, and he watched her as she buried her face in his neck like a kitten, starved of affection. She breathed shakily and she shut her eyes as it all came back to her.

Mike being squeezed to death. Nanaba and Gelgar being torn apart, whilst shouting her name for help. Lynne and Henning being crushed beneath debris, and Ymir being cannibalised alive. Nathalie was too weak to protect any of them. Too wounded and too weak to do anything. She had fought titans with mere daggers after her ODM got useless. She had no choice but to dive into her own death. Accept defeat, and give in. Jump from the tower right into a titan’s mouth.

“It was… terrifying,” Her voice trembled and tears overflowed her eyes and slipped down her cheeks unexpectedly. She hadn’t realised how much scared she was until she remembered how being safe feels. Her hands let go off his and reached for his shirt, grasping it and bringing him closer. Clutching onto the only man that could bring her relief and reassurance. “I thought I was going to die…” Another tear slipped down her cheek “…I thought I was never going to see you again-”

“It’s alright, now, Nat,” Levi cut her. A hand found her back, the other, her hair, pressing her head against his chest. He pressed a kiss on her forehead. “I’ve got you. I always have,”

“Thank you, Levi,”

Was she really thanking him? “Oi, what the fuck are you even thanking me about?” Levi pulled back to look down at her. He pressed his forehead against her own and his thumb wiped away her tears from her cheeks. “I’d do anything for you,”

Those words drew her mind away from the terrors of last night, and she stared into his grey eyes finally realising how much scared he too must have been last night. She knew she meant a lot to him, and he meant a lot to her, but what were they to each other anymore? They’ve been siblings, they’ve been friends. Best friends. Comrades. What now? Levi didn’t know whether it’d be the wrong choice that would ruin everything. And he didn’t know whether it’d be the right choice that would fix everything. But fuck it. He was tired of waiting. He had to grasp the chance for as long as they had left.