|122| Whole

“CAN I HOLD THEM? Can I hold them, can I hold them, can I hold them, please, please, please, pleaseeeeeee…”

Hange was practically drooling and jumping around in excitement. Those two looked so damn cute she couldn’t help it. Levi wouldn’t let her hold them ever since they had retrieved them. He had just clicked his tongue and he had said “In your dreams, Four-Eyes,” but Nathalie had a different reaction.

“Of course!” Nathalie approached her friend who was practically fuming with happiness, but Levi fell between them with that stoic look on his face. He was holding their little girl, and Nathalie was holding their little boy. Connie, Jean, Sasha and Hitch were behind, making faces and acting like five-year-olds making them giggle and smile.

“There’s no fucking way am I letting another crazy scientist touch my kids,” Levi frowned deeply.

“I don’t want to conduct experiments on them I JUST WANNA BE A GOOD AUNTY!” Hange cried out and Levi let out a ‘tch’ still stubbornly refusing to let her hold them.

“It’s alright, darling,” Nathalie stepped beside her husband. She held her babyboy with one arm, and the other found Levi’s shoulder, catching his attention. “Let me remind you that I’m a crazy scientist too,” She made her point and Levi sighed before handing her the girl and Nathalie handed her boy to Moblit who looked just as excited.

“LOOK AT YOU, YOU’RE SO CUTE!” Hange cried out as she tapped the girl’s nose and she giggled. Little hands reached for Hange’s goggles and started drawing on them. “Ooh! You like my goggles? Here,” Hange pulled them off from around her head and handed them to girl. Hange turned at Nathalie and Levi. “This one is a Burgess, she’s gonna need glasses,”

Nathalie giggled. “We’ll work on that,”

“They need clothes too,” Levi added.

“And their own little beds,” Nathalie added. She knew there was no way they could grow their children in the Survey Corps HQ. Her hand found Levi’s cheek. “We need to get a house,” Levi nodded right away as if he had just made the same thought. “I’ll resign and stay with them,” Nathalie looked up at her husband as he turned and cupped her face.

“Nat… is this what you really want?” Levi asked. He didn’t want her to watch him leave every day, every morning, and having him returning who knows when. An arm slipped around her and he brought her close. He couldn’t deny it. It was so hard to spend who knows how many days and how many hours without her. Without his little brats that he would undoubtedly miss.

“It’s not about what we want, darling, it’s about what’s best for them,” Nathalie turned and looked at Hange and Moblit, both playing with the two-year-olds in their arms. Levi smiled down at her, and he looked at the smile that she had on her face as she stared happily at their little angels. He couldn’t help it. He leaned in and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“Alright,”

Nathalie leaned close and buried her face in his neck, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. Was she really going to make it? All those hours without him? What about her breakdowns, her panic attacks? Something told him she’d no longer have any of these, because simply she wouldn’t allow herself to. She had to be strong. She had to be there, and strong, and happy for them. She was. She already was.    

“You guys are searching for a house?” Historia asked and the two turned and looked at their Queen. “I happen to own one outside the fields of Trost. It’s isolated, but guarded at all times as it is a property of the crown,”

Nathalie and Levi shared a look, and she could tell he was actually considering this. Historia said it was guarded by the Royal Guard, and considering they had killed whatever was left of the Enhanced soldiers, there was no way Marley could send something that the Royal Guard couldn’t handle. But Nathalie’s look told him otherwise. He knew she didn’t want to just take a house from someone, no matter how close she was to Historia. They couldn’t just take it as their own just like that. She’d offer to pay only because it was morally right. It wasn’t like the Queen was in need of any money.