|74| Hurricane

It was hell. Hell on earth indeed. But Erwin had a good reason to put the veterans to deal with that hell. No one else could. They launched on the titans one by one. They were more than a few dozens. They had to give it their all just as their Commander had ordered them.

Titan blood sprayed on her face. It landed on her glasses, colouring the lenses. Thankfully, it would evaporate off right away and it never left her blind. Nathalie’s muscles almost ached from the overuse, but they had no choice. It all came back to her. The night that she fought in Utgard Castle. So many titans to deal with. So much to fight.

Erwin’s orders were clear. Inject the largest ones. And that was exactly what they did. They were going to inject the titans of bigger mass with the hardening serum that Nathalie had come up with. It was going to harden the titan skin, and they were going to use it to hide behind. The houses were not enough to handle the impact of the boulders that the beast would throw at them. They needed shields and they were going to use their own enemies for that.

Nathalie hooked herself on another titan. She sliced off its eyes with a fast move and then she hooked herself on its shoulder, before she sliced off the nape with a growl. The large titan landed back down on the soil beneath them. She landed beside it and she took out the fifth, and last injection that she had left. It was a fourteen-metre one. It was enough. She injected it and she hooked herself on another titan that rushed her way.

The hardening was going to take more than a few minutes, especially for titans with large masses. It was way different than having titan-shifters hardening their skin at will. The empty corpses of mindless titans did not have that will that would otherwise rush the hardening. The serum needed time. And they had to hold out for as long as they could.

Nathalie sliced off another nape, before she felt another hand grabbing her own. She looked up only to see Levi. Titan blood was evaporating on his face. There was that wild, lethal look in his eyes. She knew exactly what he had in mind. He tossed her powerfully towards three titans. Her fingers clutched around the handles of her swords and she took all three of them out, thanks to Levi’s powerful throw. Another gigantic hand was reaching for her, but Levi made sure he cut off the titan’s fingers before Nathalie went for the nape whilst it was distracted.

She hooked herself towards another titan that Erwin had been struggling with. She sliced off the nape and she felt a hand slipping around her waist and pulling her away from the hands of another titan that tried to grab her and smash her in its grip. The two of them landed back down on the soil unceremoniously. Nathalie’s face crashed on Erwin’s chest and she looked down at her Commander. His arms were still tight around her.

“Are you okay?!” Nathalie asked alarmed and worried.

She cupped his face and tried to check for any injuries but Erwin just gave her a reassuring smile. “I’m fine. Thank you, Nathalie,”

The two of them stood back up and resumed the fight. The veterans weren’t going down easy. They had wiped off the entirety of the titans in only just a few hours. Erwin was only glad to see his plan was actually working. He was glad to see the disappointed look on the beast’s face.

Nathalie stood on the rooftop of a building, breathless. She looked all around her and Levi landed beside her. He was breathless too. There was nothing but carcasses of the slowly hardening big titans, and the smaller ones that were evaporating. Levi wiped the blood off his face with his sleeve and he turned at his wife.

“You’re not hurt, are you?” Levi asked worriedly.

“I’m good, you?” Nathalie asked.

Levi nodded reassuringly and the couple turned back at the titans that were all dead. The other veterans and their Squads along with Erwin were all standing on rooftops, taking a moment to catch their breath. It was beyond doubt that they had all used their Resurrection Serums. Nathalie and Levi hadn’t used their own. They didn’t have to. At least, not yet.