|48| I Choose You

“Commander! We can’t seem to distract it. It’s an abnormal. It doesn’t care about us,” The soldier said and Erwin nodded.

“That’s alright. Fall back. We know what direction it’s going. That tells us enough to make a plan,” Erwin said.

“We found Levi Squad!” Another soldier came riding on his horse with a torch in his hand. “They’re nearby. They succeeded, sir! They have Eren and Historia! Lieutenant Nathalie and Commander Hange with her Squad are there too, sir!”

Erwin gasped. They were okay. They had made it out. Nathalie was with them too. He was more than willing to hear what she had to say on that abnormal and on how to take it down. But in the end, he realised, he was just glad to know that Nathalie and the others were okay. His grip tightened around the reins of his horse and he urged it to follow the soldier and go find them. Hange had told him what happened. Apologising to Nathalie was the least that he could do.

•═❉═•⊱◄◊۞◊►⊰•═❉═•

The Scouts had found them. The team was now riding on horses, but Moblit was on a cart with Hange’s hand pressing tightly on his wound. She had settled his body in her lap, too worried to do anything but make sure to keep him awake till they’d reach Orvud and rush him into a hospital. Nathalie sat beside Hange and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“He’s going to be okay,” Nathalie said reassuringly and Hange only sighed deeply. It was her fault he was wounded in the first place.

Eren was sitting across them with Historia, and Levi with the kids were riding on their horses with their torches in their hands to light their way. The abnormal was coming into sight the closer they got. It was almost twice the size of a colossal. The body too huge, and the limbs too thin, but still managed to drag itself towards the District. Nathalie couldn’t help staring at it. It was burning from the inside out. It was incredibly abnormal physically.

“You need to understand, your Majesty. Only one person per generation can be allowed to turn into a titan and succeed the Founder from the previous generation. If another person of the same generation is turned into a titan, then the transformation is going to result in an utter abomination,”

“And why is that, Dr. Burgess?”

“The Royal Bloodline contains genes that if activated, they are too strong for the human body to handle. That’s greatly because the Royal Family has directly inherited those genes by the Founder Ymir herself…” Nathalie had no idea whose words were these, but she was willing to bet it was an ancestor of hers talking to one of King Fritz’s grandsons. The Founder Ymir?

If another person of the same generation is turned into a titan, then the transformation is going to result in an utter abomination.

And there it was, that abomination that was dragging itself towards Orvud District. Even if she tried to inject that thing with Eren’s Titan Spinal Fluid she doubted it’ll be enough. It was too big. It was at least twice the size of a Colossal Titan. Nathalie would need days to gather the right dosage. Days that they didn’t have if that thing was to attack the District. But then again if I injected that thing on its nape, with even a smaller dose, maybe it could still… 

“Erwin!” Levi said as he saw the Commander approaching on his horse and Nathalie was snapped out of her endless thoughts. They stopped their horses and the cart to speak to the Commander.  

“Anyone hurt?” Erwin asked. His eyes scanned the kids, Hange, Moblit, and Nathalie. Nathalie seemed fine. Erwin sighed in relief.

“Yeah, Moblit took a hit,” Levi answered.