|33| The New Levi Squad

“Come again?!” Commander Pyxis asked surprised as Hange, Nathalie and Connie explained their assumptions on the people of Ragako Village turning into titans. “You’re saying that the titans responsible for this were the citizens of Ragako?!”

They had gathered in Erwin’s room in the hospital. Commander Pyxis had visited Erwin, whose hand was getting better and better by the day. Levi was sitting on a chair beside Erwin and Commander Pyxis was sitting on a chair by the other side. Nathalie and Hange had just walked in with Connie. Nathalie couldn’t imagine how much hard it could have been for Connie.

“It is highly likely,” Nathalie said.

“I see,” Erwin said. “So, in actuality, titans are human beings,” He looked up at Nathalie. “Your assumption was correct, Captain,”

Levi’s eyes widened when the realisation struck him. Fuck. After all those murders that he had committed in the Underground, he thought he had stopped killing people, only to find out that he never really stopped.

“Well, we… don’t have proof yet,” Hange said.

“Great. Perfect,” Levi said bitterly and Nathalie sighed. She knew he wouldn’t like this. “I’ve spent all this time. All this energy, and the things I’ve been carving through like carrion were people,”

It wasn’t just Levi. Nobody liked the idea of killing actual people. “Look,” Hange said. “We don’t know for a certainty,”

True. They had no actual proof except maybe the picture of Connie’s mom and that titan’s face that looked exactly like her. There must have been some way that they could turn her back to normal. Nathalie was sure of it. There was definitely something that she could do. She had promised Connie a ride back to his village. She was going to go with him and figure it out. There must have been something that she could do.

If she could figure out a way to turn titans back into humans, then that could also be how they win. Hange, Connie, and Commander Pyxis left no long after. The only ones left in the room were Levi and Nathalie who was staring outside the window.

Levi turned at Erwin and asked. “Now what?” But much to his surprise, Erwin had a large smile on his face. Levi’s eyes widened. What the hell?! “Um, excuse me. What’s with that smile?”

“I don’t see how killing actual people can be something to smile about,” Nathalie raised an eyebrow as she took her attention from the window and she turned at the Commander.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Erwin said. “Just… seems to me we’ve taken one more step toward the truth,”

“Wow. One whole step, huh? At this pace we’ll run out of people before we actually reach it,” Levi said. “Not a good rate of return,”

“Everything comes at a price. One day we’ll get close enough to break through. The wall barring us from the truth will tumble,” Erwin said, and maybe he was right. Nathalie only wished she and Levi would get to live to see that day.

“It’s not all so bad about titans being people…” Nathalie said. “…if humans can turn into titans then there must be some way for titans to turn back into humans,”

Erwin looked at Nathalie with nothing but hope in his eyes. “If you and Hange could make it happen we… we could end this,”

Nathalie nodded but she sighed, sitting beside him on the bed. “It’s not easy. It’s clear that the enemy possesses technology that we can’t even dream about,” She thought about the canned food. She had explained it all to Erwin and he knew what she was talking about. “Even if we end all titans and find our enemy beyond the walls, who knows what kind of firepower they have. Who knows how much they know on titans that we don’t,”