Fifty five

"I don't want to spend an entire day in a lecture hall listening to people talk about their old surgeries. I want to be in surgery, cutting people open and saving lives," Erin whined to Meredith, Alex, Lexie and Cristina. "I can already tell you how it's gonna go. Bailey made me buy chocolates last night, so they're gonna be question prizes. Callie is going to shit her pants at public speaking, I'm gonna fall asleep because I've been awake all night and it's gonna be boring," Erin said.

"You're an optimist lately," Meredith snorted.

"I'm realistic," Erin said.

"You're dark and twisty," Jackson said from behind her. Erin smirked at him.

"Oh, and you are my bright and shiny counterpart, right?" she said.

"You know it," he grinned. "Worming my way into your stone heart, just like you said I wouldn't," he said.

"Don't get confident, Avery. You are very much not in my stone heart. That belongs to tiny humans and my very small group of friends," Erin motioned to Lexie, Meredith, Alex and Cristina.

"And Dr. Robbins and Dr. Torres and Dr. Bailey and Dr. Shepherd and Dr. Sloan and-" Jackson said, smile getting wider and wider as he continued. Erin rolled her eyes fondly.

"Get your ass in there and shut up before I break your face," Erin said. He laughed and headed inside.

"Okay, he is a total moron but he actually seems human around you," Lexie said.

"He's just my friend," Erin rolled her eyes.

"We know. It's just one of the only times we've seen him smile," Lexie shrugged.

"Whatever," Erin shrugged.

"Come on," Alex grabbed her hand and led her into the theatre.

"Okay, I was not expecting Richard Webber to talk about mom," Erin stared at Meredith that night.

"Me either," she said. "Derek didn't even mention he was going to be there," she said. Erin sighed and rubbed her face.

"It's kind of terrifying to think about what a legacy we have to uphold and we've done, well, nothing compared to what she's done," Erin said.

"I know. I thought I had something with my clinical trial but then it was the Shepherd method and now I'm doing nothing," she said.

"Me either," Erin groaned. "I mean, we are. We're fighting through a merger, we're getting surgeries, we're preparing for what specialties we're going into. It's just stressful right now," Erin said.

"I know," Meredith sighed. She lay back on the couch beside Erin. "Muppets?" she said.

"Please," Erin nodded, leaning her head against Meredith's chest.

"Oh god!" Derek shouted. Erin got up from the couch, running along the hallway to Alex's room. The door was open and Meredith was staring at a naked Lexie on the bed.

"Derek was supposed to be Alex," Lexie whined.

"Okay. Well, Alex left ten minutes ago," Erin said.

"And since when are you two still...." Meredith trailed off.

"Since you caught us the first time," Lexie said.

"Lexie, this is Alex we're talking about. Emotionally, he's like me three years ago," Meredith said.

"You can't be having feelings for him. You realize that," Erin said.