Fish Out Of Water

There's something off about Ashton's classmate, Luke.

Ashton notices him at school, and how he seems to act like he doesn't quite fit in, even though he tries.

One day, Ashton discovers Luke's secret and it suddenly all makes sense. Why does Luke act like a fish out of water? Because he is.

Luke's a merman.

And now he owes Ashton a wish.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ashton's parents owned a fishing buisness off the coast of California.

He worked in the shop, although he actually found fish smelly and disgusting, so he worked the register while his dad did the actual fish handling.

He was just finishing a transaction when he glanced up at the clock. "Dad! I gotta go to school now or I'll be late!"

"What's so wrong with being late? Doesn't everyone despise school?" His dad called form the back.

"Yeah but if I'm late then everyone stares at you when you come in as if you just killed five people." Ashton explained as he ran to the back.

"I'm so glad I'm done with school." His dad said. "Well have fun, remember to say goodbye to your mom!"

"I will!" He went inside and hurried to his room to get his bag. He slipped on his shoes and went to the kitchen, where his mom was making sandwiches.

"Bye hun, remember to stop by the fishing nets after school so you can clean them before the rush." She said as she handed him his lunch.

Ashton made a face. "Ugh, but fish are gross and smelly!"

"And they need to be maintained, we can't sell our customers filthy fish." She kissed his head before nudging him out the door. "Have a good day at school!"

"Not possible." Ashton mumbled as he ran to the bus stop.

-

Luke sat down at his desk and smiled at the people who passed by him. A few smiled back.

Luke loved the people. He found them fascinating.

It took some persuading, but he managed to convince his family to let him go to school on land for a year, just for the experience.

Luke was happy and outgoing, so he made friends easily. His two favorites were two guys named Calum and Michael.

They didn't have this class with him, but it was okay, because Ashton did.

Luke thought Ashton was beautiful. Definetly the prettiest human being he had ever seen.

Oh, and speaking of Ashton, he had just walked into the classroom now. Luke beamed at him as the human passed his desk. "Hi Ashton!"

"Hello." Ashton gave him a smile and took his seat, a few rows over.

Luke bit his lip to hide his smile.

After a few minutes, the teacher came into the room. "Everyone shut up, we're cooking today so we need to get started right away or we won't have time to finish. Get into groups of two or three and go to a cooking station. We'll be making entree's for today's lesson." She said, tying an apron around her waist.

The students all jumped up and started calling out to their friends to pair up.

Luke looked over at Ashton. The boy was walking to the back of the room, where the cooking area was. He stopped in front of a station and grabbed an apron. Luke quickly jumped up and followed him.