The Copper Scroll Part 4

Michael groaned and complained as they walked up the steps to the city library.

"Okay, I get that we need research and privacy and stuff, but really? I hate the library. It's so boring!"

"You're boring." Calum snapped as Ashton held the door open for them. Well, everyone but Luke. He shut the door on Luke.

Luke glared and walked past them. He stuck his foot out and tripped Ashton.

Calum hurried to the history section. "Okay, what are we searching for?"

"Luke's dick." Ashton muttered as he pushed himself up off the ground.

"As well as your brain." Luke snapped.

"Guys come on, this is no time to be fighting." Michael sighed.

"Yeah, and you sound like an old married couple." Calum put in.

"I think I argue better than that." Ashton rolled his eyes.

They followed Calum to the history section and started scanning titles.

"Wait...what are we searching for?" Michael asked five minutes later. "I've kinda just been looking at the past three books without really knowing what I'm looking for."

Ashton sighed. "How did you get into college?"

"We're looking for books on Willem Janszoon." Luke told him, glaring at Ashton.

"I found an autobiographical novel on him." Calum called from the next row.

They huddled around Calum as the boy flipped through the pages. "Wow....its so dusty. Don't the library people clean these?"

"I know right, look at all these rips in the pages!" Michael exclaimed. "That's no way to treat a book."

"Tell me about it, this glue is barely holding the book together! I mean come on, you literally had one job!" Calum complained.

"Oh for fucks sake!" Luke snapped and snatched the book from Calums hands. "Will you girls gossip about books later? We're kinda on a deadline here!"

"Yeah, we can bring the books condition to the librarian's attention later." Ashton added. "But right now-"

Boom!

They were thrown to the ground by the force of the cannon.

People screamed and started running. Pages were strewn about the ground and someone pulled the fire alarm.

Ashton coughed and rubbed dust from his eyes. He sat up slowly, and looked around.
The blast had blown him back and he had crashed painfully against a table.

He couldn't see Calum or Michael, but he saw Luke on the ground, next to the base of a large bookshelf.

A large, unstable bookshelf.

It slowly teetered back, then forward, then back again.

Ashton scrambled up and ran to it. As it leaned forward again, he pushed against it. Luke groaned and rolled over.

"Luke, get the fuck up!" Ashton yelled.
The bookcase was heavy, and Ashton couldn't hold it up. "Like, right now."

The bookshelf creaked as it continued to slowly lean forward.

Luke blinked his eyes open and finally sat up. "What happened?"

"Just move!" Ashton shouted. The shelf slipped from his fingers and he and Luke just barely dived out of the way in time.

They sat on the ground for a moment to catch their breath.

Luke looked at Ashton. "Um...thanks."

"Don't mention it." Ashton sighed. They stood up and dusted the debris off them.

"Is everybody already gone?" Luke asked, scanning the library. "Where's Michael and Calum?"

"Are you the nosy blokes who 'ave got our treasure map?" A heavily accented voice asked.

They looked up slowly to see a gang of tough looking pirates in red shirts glaring down at them.

"We don' like people stealing our treasure." The leader bent down and glowered at them. "We don' like it a' all."

---------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS SUCH SHORT NOTICE BUT IN ABOUT 20 HOURS I'LL BE GONE ON A CRUISE FOR SPRING BREAK SO I WONT BE BACK FOR 11 DAYS AND NO PHONES ALLOWED CUZ OF THE INTERNATIONAL CHARGES SO I CANT UPDATE IM SORRY ♡