Freedom- Bad Day

Four hours for Ashton to wake up, but the boy had displayed no signs of doing that.

Luke paced beside Ashton's bed, glancing at the clock every two seconds.

Their management had come to visit, the man and woman who had banned them in the first place. Luke was not happy.

"If he wakes up, we have a lot to talk about."

"You were given a simple set of rules! Why couldn't you just follow them?"

Luke sat beside his boyfriend and grabbed his hand. "Baby we're a little different, there's no need to be ashamed."

"This could mean the end of 5SOS."

"Help me."

"You really have no idea how much you messed up, do you?"

"I'm not afraid, but I miss you."

He looked up at the clock. Three hours, twenty minutes.

Luke kissed Ashton's cheek, lips, hand. He wanted to scream, but he was so tired.

The people outside were still there, and even more had joined them. They had boo'ed the man and woman when they had shown up.

That had made Luke crack a smile. These fans, the true fans, were loyal.

Calum and Mikey visited, but they knew Luke would rather be alone, so they didn't interrupt when Luke was with Ashton.

Mostly, Luke thought. About the band, the fans, Ashton, if Ashton didn't wake up, how Luke would be living if he didn't, how Luke would be living if he did, just Ashton in general.

A few minutes ago, Luke had come to realize something.

He loved Ashton.

Truly, madly, deeply, forever and always, head over heels, to the stars and beyond, from the bottom of his heart, genuinely, seriously, from Heaven to Hell and all across the universe, loved Ashton.

Not puppy love, not a crush, not a brotherly love, a true love.

Two hours to wake up.

Luke sighed and stood up, pacing again.

If Ashton didn't wake up, there would be no more Five Seconds of Summer. Calum and Mikey would be so heartbroken.

Luke would be lifeless. Just like Ashton.

The door suddenly burst open. "Luke! Outside!" Calum gasped out, pointing. They ran to the window, where the fans and the managements security personnel had started fighting.

"It's like a riot." Mikey breathed.

"We have to stop this before someone gets hurt!" Luke said, watching the fight with wide eyes.

"How? We can't call in more security." Calum exclaimed.

"Follow me." Luke said, running out the door. Michael and Calum shared a nervous look before following.

Luke ran up to the door marked ROOF and knocked it down.

"Hey! You can't be up there!" Someone shouted, and a news reporter followed them up to the roof.

Luke ran to the edge and looked down. "Let's get the TV and the radio to film us, it's about time we got some airplay of our version of events."

The reporter shrugged and turned on his camera.

"Everyone!" Luke shouted, grabbing the news microphone. "Stop! Please!"

Michael and Calum stood beside Luke.

"No more fighting, someone's going to get hurt! Listen, wether or not my boyfriend wakes up in time, or if there is going to be a 5SOS band after this, there will still be problems. Like our dick of a management, and haters. But regardless, I will always love Ashton, so just know that if our band does break up, Lashton won't." He lowered the mike as the crowd ceased fighting to listen.

"And if he doesn't, then..." Luke stopped.

Calum took the microphone and Mikey put his hand on Luke's shoulder, leading him away from the edge as Calum took over, thanking the fans.

"I don't mean to pressure you more, but....one hour." Michael whispered and Luke nodded.

"I'll be with Ashton, like always." Luke said, slowly walkng back to Ashton's room. "If he doesn't...I don't know what I'll do."

He shut the door to Ashton's room and sat beside him, taking his hand and holding it tightly.

Ashton's hand had started dropping in temperature and Luke knew it wasn't long now.

Half an hour.

"Make me feel better, I wanna feel better."

Luke squeezed his eyes shut. "I'm sorry Ash...I couldn't make you feel better. I couldn't make you feel anything but sadness and hopelessness. I'm sorry I couldn't put you back together."

He thought about the last thing Ashton had said to him. "I love you."

"I love you too Ashton. Sorry I couldn't show it." He slowly looked up at the clock.
Ten minutes.

Luke squeezed Ashton's hand. "I said I'm sorry! What more do you want?! What more do you need?! Wake up! Please, just wake up! Ashton!" Luke cried. He laid his head down on Ashton's chest, staining his shirt with his tears.

"Stay with me here, and never surrender."

Calum and Mikey came in then. "Luke...two minutes." Calum said softly as they sat beside Luke.

Luke sniffed and looked up at Ashton's sleeping face with watery eyes. "Please, don't remind me."

"You made them stop fighting." Mikey said, glancing out the window.

Luke hardly heard him. "Do you know what it feels like to want to surrender?" He asked softly.

"No." Calum said, leaning towards Luke. "Why?"

"Because Ashton just did."

Mikey whipped his head back from the window. "What?"

Luke looked up at the clock. It was 12:01.

"He surrendered."

Calum and Mikey were speechless.

Luke stood up, bent over, kissed Ashton and walked out of the room.

-

Ashton had heard everything Luke had said.

He was in the dark.

Everytime he tried to open his eyes, he would get shoved back down, deeper into the black.

But when Luke spoke, a light shone, and Ashton woud try to get to the light.

But suddenly, the light was cut off, and didn't return.

Ashton frowned and sat down, looking around him. Now what?

He should just stay here, he could sleep forever, and never have to feel pain again. No more management, no more haters, no more cutting.

But then...that would mean no more Luke either.

Ashton couldn't live without Luke.

He decided he didn't like it down here and stood up.

He wanted Luke. He reached his arms up, trying to reach the surface.

He wanted to run his hands through Luke's hair. He wanted to cuddle against Luke's strong torso. He wanted Luke to whisper I love you in his ear. He wanted Luke to laugh, to get down on one knee, to stay with him forever.

He jumped up, his fingertips brushing against the light above him.

He wanted Luke to hold him, to never surrender.

He jumped again, and this time, he grabbed on. He held on with both hands and slowly, ever so slowly, pulled himself into the light.

Twelve hours after Luke had left, Ashton woke up.