The Copper Scroll Part 3

"What the fuck?" Michael cried. "What did we do?"

Luke continued to peer out the window. "There's like five cop cars out there."

"I'm too cute for jail!" Calum screamed. "What if I drop the soap?"

"Trust me, no body would want to be around you when you shower." Ashton said. He picked up the paper copies of the scroll. "Luke, quit staring at them and fix the curtains!"

"I'm not staring, I'm memorizing licence plates." Luke grumbled, but he picked up the rod and Michael helped him slide it into place.

Calum followed Ashton into the kitchen. "What are you doing with the copies?" He asked as Ashton rummaged through Luke's kitchen drawers.

"Lighting them on fire." Ashton replied. He pulled out a box of matches.

"But why?" Calum asked in alarm.

"It's called destroying evidence. Why else would the cops be here when we haven't broken any laws?" Ashton explained. "They're onto us."

He lit the match. "Besides, we know what the clue is, we don't need these anymore."

Luke came into the room then. He looked at the papers, the match, then locked eyes with Ashton. He gave him a nod, and Ashton held the papers over the flame.

The fire instantly grabbed onto the corner of the papers and began clawing its way up, leaving ash to drift to the floor behind it.

The front door suddenly slammed down with no warning. Everybody jumped at the noise, and Ashton dropped the burning papers.

Smoke stung their eyes as cops ran into the kitchen.

"Hands on your head! All of you!" One barked out, holding his gun out. "Now!"

They four obeyed, and the cops led them back outside, each to seperate cars.

"You can't arrest us when we haven't done anything!" Michael shouted.

"We have the right to detain anyone for 48 hours, no questions asked." A cop said

"Don't we get a lawyer or have our rights read to us?" Calum protested as the cop opened the back door to the cop car and pushed him in.

"That's only if you're being arrested." He said.

"What the fuck do you think is happening right now?" Luke yelled.

"This isn't an arrest." A cop said in annoyance. He shoved Luke inside the car.

"Then what is it?" Ashton glared. He saw another cop come out of the house, the charred papers in a plastic bag.

"An ambush. We're saving your asses." The cop holding him snarled before escorting him to the car.

-

They interviewed them one by one.

They called it an interview, but it was more of an interrogation.

Michael went first.

A cop escorted him to a room that had a table and two chairs in it.

A short while later, a man came in. He had brown hair that matched his skin and chocolate colored eyes. He took the seat across from Michael.

He set a file on the table in between them. "Hello Michael Clifford. My name is Joseph, and thats all you need to know."

Michael rolled his eyes and didn't reply.

Joseph opened his file and started flipping through it. "Let's see...no criminal record...average grades throughout school, and you're studying languages at Saint Sydney." He looked up. "Anything you want to add to that?"