Mute

"Who's that?"

"Who?"

"Him, the one alone in the corner."

"Him? Oh, don't bother talking to him."

"Why?"

"That's Ashton Irwin, and he won't ever answer you."

"Why not?"

"He's mute."

------------------------------------------

Luke's P.O.V.

I looked myself over in the mirror. Black skinny jeans, a Nirvana shirt. Simple. I didn't want to stand out today.

My dad got a promotion at work and we had to move. For everyone else, it was the last week of school, for me, it was the first day. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

"Luke! Are you ready?" My mom called. "Yeah!" I yelled down. I grabbed my backpack off my bed and went downstairs.

I skipped breakfast as we got into the car.

"You'll have to walk home, I don't get off work in time to pick you up." My mom said, pulling out of the drive way.

"Thats okay." I said, turning the radio to my favorite station.

A few minutes later we pulled into the parking lot and I got out. A few kids stared at me but I didn't mind. I stared at the new kids too.

I waved goodbye to my mom and went inside the building. I found my locker and dialed the combination I memorized last night.

I put my backpack away and grabbed my things that I would need for my first class.

As I was walking into the room, I heard someone say, "Alright, bye Cal!", and then that person crashed into me.

"Oof!" He gasped. "Shit sorry!" He reached a hand down and helped me up.

"It's fine." I smiled, picking up my stiff. He studied me. "Hey, are you in this class?" I nodded and he gasped. "Really? I've never noticed! Wow, sorry!" I laughed.

"I meant I'm new, I just moved."

"Oh." He smiled. "Well, you wanna sit by me? You can sit with me and my friend Calum at lunch too."

I grinned. "Thanks!"

We took our seats and the teacher came and passed out a study guide for the upcoming quiz.

"Pst!" He whispered. "What's number seven?"

"Forty two." I whispered back. He frowned. "But...this is History. Not math."

I laughed and the teacher gave me a look. I shut up and looked down at my paper.

"Hey, you should do this for me." He whispered again a few minutes later.

"Can't." I whispered back. He pouted. "Aw, why not?"

"I don't even know your name."

His eyes widened. "I never told you? Oh, sorry haha, I'm Michael."

I smiled. "I'm Luke."

After class he showed me to my next class.

"See you in lunch!" He waved as he ran off to his class.

"Bye!" I called. I turned around and bumped into someone.

"Oh! Sorry." I said but the guy didn't say anything. I looked up and saw he was already walking down the hall, his brown curls bouncing from his fast pace.