The Hunger Games

:P
-------------------------------------------------------

Ashton's P.O.V.

I carried the bucket of water inside the house, trying not to splash it out as this was the only hot water we had and today was the Reaping so we had to look nice.

Which made no sense to me, why should we dress up ourselves on such an ugly day?

I shook my head and set the bucket on the table.

My little sister Lauren was crying in my mother's arms. It was her first Reaping today, and she was petrified her name would be called.

I wasn't, however, as her name had only been entered once, whereas mine had been in there seventeen times.

Call me selfish, but I was only worrying about my own ass (and what a fine, fine ass that is).

My younger brother, Harry, wasn't old enough to have his name in the Reaping just yet, so he was safe, along with my parents.

"It's going to be okay Lauren." My mom soothed. "There's lots of names in that bowl, there's no way they will pick you."

"Yeah, at least you don't have your name in there seventeen times." I grumbled, stomping up to my room to get changed.

"Ashton." My mom sighed. We had been arguing about this for a while. I wanted to just run away, but she wanted us to stay.

I swear though, if they call my name, I'm running.

I looked at the outfit my mom had chosen for me. Black pants, white shirt, black bandana. Really simple.

I sulked as I got changed. "Fuck this, fuck that, fuck everything. Fuck my life. Fuck the Capitol. Fuck that window."

I stomped downstairs. "Fuck these stairs."

"Ashton!" My mom snapped. "Don't swear."

"Sorry." I rolled my eyes. "Screw these stairs."

Lauren giggled slightly and I smiled.

"Time to go." My dad come in, holding Harry on his shoulders.

I took Lauren's hand and followed him out.

We joined the rest of District Twelve as we walked to the Reaping.

We stood in line as the Peacekeepers pricked our fingers, then stood in groups in front of a giant stage.

A gayly dressed man in purple came out, smiling cheerfully. "Hello District 12! You all know me, Simon from the Capitol."

No body acknowledged him and he quickly walked over to the large bowl of names. "As always, ladies first."

He dug his hand in and I quickly looked over at Lauren. She caught my gaze and I saw she was trembling.

I gave her a reassuring smile, which she weakly returned.

Simon picked a card and walked back to the microphone.

"And our girl tribute is.....Lauren Irwin."

She froze.

"What?!" I cried out, throwing my hands in the air.

When Lauren didn't move, Peacekeepers came and escorted her to the stage.

My heart pounded. She was too young! I couldn't let her go in the arena alone!

"Oh for fucks sake." I muttered, pushing my way to the front. I couldn't believe I was doing this but, "I volunteer! I volunteer as the male tribute!"