Escapist

Ashton is an escapist, meaning he often drifts into his own fantasies and imagination. He prefers being in his mind than in the real world.

Ashtons parents, confusing him as a borderline schizophrenic, send him to a mental hospital to 'get better'.

Luke is a worker at the mental hospital Ashton is sent to. He is assigned to help and look over Ashton.

As Luke helps the boy, he realizes that the only way to save Ashton, is to get fired.

Dedicated to unicxrn_mashton for making the cover!

(not sure if pronounced escape-ist or es-kah-pist....im going with the second one cuz thats what i first read it as)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ashton was flying.

Well, it was more like floating. Drifting above the clouds. He smiled and closed his eyes at the feel of the sun on his skin.

It was always peaceful here, in his mind.

He settled down on a cloud to sleep, but something kept poking him, yanking him back from what he wanted.

Ashton blinked his eyes open and stared up at his father's face.

"Dammit Ashton! I've been yelling for you for ten minutes!" His father glared.

"Sorry." Ashton blinked and sat up.

His dad sighed. "Take those stupid headphones out and pay attention. It infuriates me to no end when you always plug those in and lose yourself. Stay in reality, understand?"

Ashton nodded.

His dad shook his head and left.

Ashton sat on his bed and drew his knees to his chest. He looked out the window and tried not to think.

He was always going into his mind, and it was starting to make his parents get concerned for him.

He heard them arguing at night about him. No good things.

His dad wanted to send him away to a special hospital to "get better", while his mom argued nothing was wrong with him.

He imagined a hospital, straight out of a horror movie scene, with black pointed fences, crumbling brick structure and lightning illuminating it all in flashes.

He shuddered and snapped himself out of it.

"Don't think." He whispered. "Don't imagine."

-

"Ashton! Move!"

Ashton looked up, just as a football came flying and hit him in the face.

He groaned and clutched his head. His parents came running over to him.

"Ash, hunny, are you okay?" His mother asked in concern, while his dad shook his head. "You were day dreaming again, weren't you?"

Ashton nodded.

His father threw his hands in the air. "That's it! I'm sending him to Stone Creek!"

"What's Stone Creek?" Ashton asked nervously. His mom sighed. "A mental hospital."

-

Two weeks later, Ashton stood in front of a large building. It had thin, rectangle windows, and was made out of orange brick. His dad pulled him along as Ashton drifted back into his mind.

He was barely there when his parents checked him in and a nurse showed them to his room.

He sat on his bed and watched as his mom unpacked his things and his dad talked to the nurse.