Skinny Love

Skinny Love: when two people are in love, but are too shy to admit it.

Luke loves Ashton, Ashton loves Luke. Both are to shy to admit it though. But their friends, Calum and Michael are determined to get them together.

-------------------------------------------

Luke's P.O.V.

I stared at the poster, a feeling of depression and sadness washing over me.

"Stupid prom." I muttered.

It was all every one was talking about.

Girls talked about dresses, boys talked about dates.

And I talked about Ashton Irwin.

No, I wasn't bringing him to prom, we were just friends. He doesn't like me. At least, not in that way.

I sighed. We had been friends since second grade, so for nine years. He was the new kid and got picked on because he was wearing this ugly purple shirt.

I remember the day we became friends like it happened nine years ago.

"Everyone, this is Ashton Irwin. He moved here from Australia and is going to be joining our class." Mrs. Johnson says, introducing a little boy to the class.

He was short, with curly light brown hair and hazel eyes. He looked around the classroom shyly and didn't speak.

"Ashton, how about you go sit in the front row, okay?"

He nods and takes a seat by the front.

I watch him with wide eyes.

I turn to Calum, my best friend. My other best friend was sick today. His name is Michael but I call him Mikey because it annoys him. I know that sounds mean but it's just what best friends do.

"Calum! I want to be friends with that boy!" I whisper excitedly.

"But he's wearing an ugly shirt." Calum whispers back.

Later, on the playground, I am on the swings and I see the new boy come out of the building.

He walks to the slide and goes down it a few times. I watch him.

Then some boys, a grade higher than us come up to him and block the slide.

"What do you think you're doing?" One of them crosses his arms and sneers down at Ashton.

"Only cool kids can go down the slide." Another says. "Not babies."

Ashton looks around, but all the other kids had left when the big kids showed up.

"But, the slides are for everyone!" Ashton says, frowning.

"No, they're for kids who don't wear ugly shirts!" The leader says an all his friends laugh.

I glare. I used to get teased about wearing these bright green glasses all the time, so I knew how Ashton felt.

"Hey!" I shout, jumping off my swing and running up to them. "Leave him alone!"

"Oh look, another baby has shown up." One of them teased.

"I'm not a baby!" I glare. "I'm in second grade!"

"Yeah, and second graders are babies." They laugh.

"No we're not!" I stomp my foot angrily. "Let us go down the slide!"