Freedom- Read All About It

btw the interview question actually happened, only it was harry who answered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ashton grabbed his glasses and slid them on.

He practiced smiling into the mirror, but none of them looked real.

He sniffed and threw his glasses off. He rubbed his red eyes and tried to keep his sobs in.

But he couldn't take it and he laid his head down on the desk, crying out all his pain.

"I love Luke, why can't they just let us be together? Why....why can't they just accept us?"

Luke and Ashton have been dating in secret for almost a year now, and still no one knew.

That was because their management wouldn't let them come out.

Calum and Michael had accepted them, even helped fight against management when they told the couple to "stay down".

But Ashton just wanted to come out and be happy with Luke. But he couldnt and it was killing him slowly.

He felt a hand rub his shoulder and he jerked his head up.

Luke smiled down at him with watery eyes. "I love you too."

Ashton cried out and grabbed onto Luke's shirt, pulling himself up.

He cried into Luke, and the younger yet taller boy hugged him close, blinking back tears of his own.

"C'mon baby, the interview will start soon. We should take our seats." Luke soothed.

But Ashton buried his face into Luke's chest. "No," he whimpered,  "hold me a little longer. Please."

So Luke brought him over to the dressing rooms couch and they laid down on it.

Ashton sniffed while Luke rubbed comforting circles on his back.

"Ashton, the show starts in five minutes. We should really get to our seats...." Luke looked down and saw Ashton had fallen asleep. Little puffs of air came from his mouth and Luke smiled.

He carefully laid Ashton down and picked up his boyfriends glasses. He set them on Ashtons face and pressed a gentle kiss to his hair.

"Sleep tight baby, I love you."

He quietly shut the door behind him as he walked into the set of the interview.

Mikey and Calum were already there. Luke sat between them.

"Where's Ashton?" Calum asked.

"He fell asleep and I didnt want to wake him." Luke explained and Mikey nodded in understanding. "He hasn't been sleeping much, has he?"

Luke shook his head.

The interviewer came on then, starting the show.

He asked some basic, starting questions but Luke wasn't into it.

He kept thinking of Ashton.

Luke and Ashton giggle as they wait outside the door to their managements office.

They hold hands. Ashton turns around and gives a nervous grin to Calum and Michael, who smile back and give them the thumbs up.

"Come in!" A voice says and Luke pushes open the door, his heart pounding.

They stand before the meeting, holding each others hand for reassurance as they blush and giggle, trying to decide what to say first.

But there's no need.

One sharply dressed man looks at their hands and laughs.

"You're joking right?"

Ashtons smile falters and Luke frowns.

"Excuse me?" Luke asks, squeezing Ashtons hand as sweat collects on his forehead.

The man stands up. "You two aren't together, right?"

Ashton makes a small gasp, while Luke stares at the man in shock.

"W-we uh, we are...actually." Ashton squeaks.

The council looks at each other and mumbles words.

Ashton looked at Luke desperately, but Luke couldn't find the words to comfort him.

"Unacceptable." A woman suddenly says. "Do you know how many fans we would lose if people found out half the band is gay?!"

Luke glared. "Theres nothing wrong with being gay!"

The first man waved him off. "We'll have to keep this under wraps for sure, make sure no one leaks anything."

"Wait!" Ashton protested.

"You cant do this, please!" Luke begged.

"Shut up." The man snarled. "We are doing this for everyone! Now get out of here before I assign you both girlfriends!"

Ashton cried as they were escorted out.

Mikey and Calum jumped up when the door opened, but their excitement fell when they took in Luke's heartbroken expression and Ashton's tears.

"The next question is for Luke." Luke snapped back to reality when he heard his name.

"The question is, if you could wish for anything money can't buy, what would it be?"

Luke looked around the audience, who had grown silent to hear his answer.

He looked to the cameras, to the millions who were viewing this at home.

He looked backstage, where a rude man and woman were motioning for him to answer.

He stood up suddenly, to everyone's surprise.

He grabbed the microphone from the interviewer and walked to the center of the stage.

"What would I wish for?"

He looked around one last time. He caught Mikeys and Calums eyes. They smiled and nodded to him, giving him a thumbs up sign.

Luke smiled and turned back to the camera.

"Freedom."

He took a breath and closed his eyes. "And I have something else to say."

It was dead silent.

"Ashton and I are boyfriends. We've been dating for nearly a year now, and we're in love. I dont care what you think, Im only human, and I love Ashton Fletcher Irwin."

He dropped the mike and walked out, leaving the crowd gasping, the interviewer speechless, his fellow bandmates cheering and clapping, and Ashton in tears.

Ashton was standing backstage, smiling and blinking back tears.

Luke smiled and ran to him, capturing him in a tight hug.

"I can't believe you did that for us." Ashton whispered in Luke's ear. "Im so proud of you, I love you."

"I love you too." They swayed slightly, dancing to the beat in their heads.

"What is management going to say?" Ashton asked. "They're going to be pissed."

Luke grinned. "Let them. They can read all about later. For now, kiss me."

"To us." Ashton whispered.

"To freedom." Luke pressed their lips together.