Insert 2

3 years later.

Lisa's pov

I was having a nice dream, I was with Mndeni and we were happy, we were about to kiss when I was shook vigorously with tiny hands. Ronnie! I yawned and sat up on the bed as I tugged at her, making her squeal and crash on my sleep deprived body.
Ronnie: Mommy! Mommy stop.
I kept tickling her small frame as she laughed, trying to escape for my clutches.
Me: Did you brush your teeth?
I finally let go of her as she now straddles me on the bed, playing with my face in her hands. She nods her head. I kiss her forehead, her nose and rub our noses together with goofy smiles on our faces.

I kiss her on the lips, she squeals and throws her head back.
Ronnie: Eww mama no, no lips kisses.
She says as she laughs when I try to kiss her again but she keeps ducking her head sideways.

***
Betty: Honey I'm home!
Elizabeth yelled from the door as she made her way to the kitchen. Character that girl, I swear.
Me: Kitchen!
Soon I saw her poking her head on the door as I kept feeding Ronnie her breakfast. She held her ears with both hands at an angry Ronnie as a sort of apology.
Betty: Sorry?
Ronnie huffed and turned to face the other side with a pout, she's a drama queen.
Betty: I got candy!
Ronnie: Which ones?
Betty: Skittles!
She jumped from her chair and ran to her, hugging her legs.

Me: Finish your breakfast first Ronnie!
Ronnie held her hand out for Betty to give her her skittles. Betty chuckled and handed them to her knowing she won't do anything until she gets what she wants. Like daughter like father. I sighed and took Veronica's food and started feeding her.
Betty: You good sis?
Me: I'm good, I'm always good.
Betty: Well I'm asking because you look so sleep-deprived. You know I can take care of Ronnie.
Ronnie pecked at the mention of her name.

I shook my head, not wanting to talk about such in front of her. She may be three but she's darn smart for her age, and I don't want her hearing things that are out of control. Like her mother juggling between two jobs to pay rent and provide for her. Everything I do is for her. Things changed, I left Joburg and found a life in KZN for both me and my baby. It was not easy, trying to find a stable place to stay, a place she could call home but I made it.

I never asked anyone for help, figured that all my life I've lived off of people. My parents, James then him too. I wanted to be independent and be able to provide for both me and my baby girl. And I did, and I'm still going strong. It's hard, it always has been since from the beginning but with the right support of Elizabeth, I did it. She has been the best thing to happen to us since we moved here. Having her own baggage I constantly had to remind her that we fine with the little she offers but she always wants to bargain for more than she can offer.

I still visit my family in Joburg, at first they didn't approve of my decision to move but it was my choice to do so and they had to come to terms with it. Of course, I was heartbroken, having to recently found my sister I had to move again. But we never lost touch with each other, in fact, with all of them. But they don't know about Veronica, it kills me every day having to sit there and pretend that my life is great whenever I visit. Elizabeth always urged me to take Ronnie with me when I go see them but I'm not ready. And quite frankly, I don't know if I'll ever be.

***
We were now sitting in the living room watching Tv, well forced to watch one of Ronnie's animated series. I look at her as she's laid on my lap to find her sleeping.
Betty: You should get ready for work.
Me: Yeah, thanks again for taking care of-
Betty: You annoy me you know? How many times am I gonna have to tell you the same thing, I love taking care of Ronnie, she's my daughter too.
I sighed and surrendered not wanting to argue with this anymore. I took Ronnie and got her to bed. I took a shower and got dressed in jeans and my works t-shirt. Took my bag and tired my straight hair into a high and low bun.

Me: I'm going now, are you gonna be okay? Her food is in the microwave, and-
Betty: Go! I got this, as every other day remember?
I gave her a closed-lip smile and nodded.
Me: Right, bye!