Insert 70

Narrated

Mbali: Ubaba wasn't the kind of man to sugarcoat anything he said, he said what he wanted no matter how it came out and I admired that a lot about him.
Mbali sighed, glancing down feeling her eyes start to sting with new tears as she stood in front of friends, family, and foes who came to bid farewell to her father.
Mbali: Ubaba was a good man, a good father and he damn was a great husband. That man deserved everything and more but God had other plans.

Mbali wiped the solemn tear that had strolled down her face with a tissue. It hurt to stand there in front of all of those people and talk about the man that meant everything to her in the past tense. It hurt to know that he was gone and would never come back again.
Mbali: Baba, I don't know what's God's plan but I know that taking you away from me, away from your family wasn't the best one of them. Lala kahle Ndlovu. (Rest in peace Ndlovu)

Mbali lowered her head as she descended the stand, with the help of her husband she went down to her seat next to the rest of the family members. Sino got up and started a moving hymn, making her way to the podium. Everyone joined in on her hymn and soon the song ended as she started to speak;
Sino: Greetings to everyone who came here today to bid farewell to my father.
She took a deep breath and released it slowly
Sino: I was once a lost girl, and I don't mean figuratively, I mean I literally slept on the streets.

Sino: I would go to bed on an empty stomach some days but one day I saw this girl who had looked so beautiful in a floral dress eating a cone of ice cream and she smiled at me. I didn't smile back, I was hungry and I didn't have any energy in me to do anything but stare, but she came to me anyway. She spoke to me and asked me a lot of questions I couldn't answer. I wondered if she was also a street kid like me until a man came yelling out for her and looking around.
She smiled softly, biting her lower lip to keep herself from crying.

Sino: That man saw me as well when he found his daughter. His eyes were sad when he looked at me, he immediately decided to take me with him. He took care of me like his own and raised me to be this woman I am today. Not many people would pick up a stranger from the streets and raise them as their own but baba did because he wasn't just a person but he was a good person. He never made me feel like I wasn't his or that I didn't belong. To him, Mbali and I were his little girls and he loved us the same.

Sino sniffled, wiping the tears that fell from her red eyes. Her heart ached at the thought of losing the one person she considered a parent. It seemed as if her fate was doomed.
Sino: You'll always be in our hearts baba. Ulala kahle. (Rest In Peace.)
She took off as well, sitting down next to her husband who immediately embraced her to calm her down as she cried. Lisa looked over to her husband and squeezed his hand in comfort and reassurance that he had this.
Snakes looked over to his wife and found comfort in her eyes, which made him nod at her.

A melody broke out in the congregation as Snakes got up and approached the podium. He gulped down the ache he felt, but it never went away as it still lingered in his heart. When the song ended, he cleared his throat and adjusted his tie feeling clogged up in the big hall.
Snakes: I never knew the old man, until a few months back that he was my father. It was a bittersweet moment because soon after that I found out he was dying. I was angry and hurt but I accepted it because there was nothing I could do. I wish I had more time with him.

Snakes: If there is a God, then he played a very cruel game with me. I grew up without a father and he reveals him to me when he is on the verge of dying. But then again maybe I'm paying for my sins or for the fact that I lived my life not believing in him. I'll start to pray, I'll go to church every Sunday as long as he keeps my family and friends alive because I can't and won't lose another person I live believing in him. I'm grateful for the time he gave me with the old man. Rest well, Ndlovu.
Snakes kept his face void of any emotions, but his heart was trembling in pain.

***

The funeral soon came to an end, fewer and lesser people remained who weren't family. David had wanted to be buried in his home, the one he raised his children in and so the funeral was held at his town and his church.
The guests left soon after, a few friends and relatives remained. The house was packed but some of the relatives weren't staying the night and some were booked in hotel rooms.
Snakes: Why are you up huh?
Ronnie: Daddy, are you sad?
Snakes were taken back by the question and wondered how the three-year-old sensed he wasn't okay.

Snakes: Daddy is not sad baby just a little tired okay?
Ronnie: Okay, stay with me till I sleep okay?
Snakes: Anything for my little princess.
Snakes took off his shoes and shrugged off his suit before loosening his tie and undoing his two top buttons. Ronnie laid her tiny body on her father's body and snuggled closer to him. Snakes rested his back against the headboard and kept on running his hand up and down his daughter's back which eventually made her fall asleep fast.

Lisa walked in just as Snakes detached himself from Ronnie's sleeping body.
Lisa: Thought she would never fall asleep.
Snakes: Come here. I need you right now.
Lisa smiled and took off her heels and earrings. She stood in front of her husband and brought her hands up to his face. The pain in his eyes and the way that made her heart ache. His eyes seemed to droop, he was tired. Lisa took his hands and kissed his knuckles slowly.

Lisa: Let's take a shower and head to bed, you look exhausted.
Snakes nodded and allowed her to lead him to the bathroom. They took a long shower, just allowing the warm water to glide down their tired-out bodies. Lisa rests her head on his chest, embracing his wet and warm body.
Snakes: I promise to never put Veronica through this. I'll try to live as long as possible for you guys. I don't ever want her to feel this feeling I'm feeling right now, ever.
Lisa didn't need to say anything, just tightened her arms around his torso.

Snakes put his chin on top of her head and sighed. He didn't want to let go just yet, being held by her like that brought the best joy and peace. He felt at home and if he let go, he would become empty, but they couldn't stand under the shower the whole night. Snakes pulled Lisa's head to look at him.
Snakes: Let's go to sleep beautiful.
Lisa blushed and nodded. They got out and dried their bodies before getting to bed.

Snakes felt contentment as he glanced down at his little family. Lisa pressed her back against his chest with Ronnie spooned by her. Snakes placed a sweet kiss on both his girls. Lisa smiled and gave her husband a warm smile. Snakes brought his long arm over Ronnie's small body and her mother's to itch closer to his family. The best feeling was knowing that he was able to protect them. He wanted nothing but to protect them forever and if forever seemed impossible he would make it possible.