Chapter 98

The sun was starting to rise, Pang Tong looked at Grus who just slumped forward. He passed out from the excruciating agony but he was still alive. Pang Tong chuckled sinisterly as he walked out of the forest, content with the information he was able to extract today. As he walked out he opened his scroll and outcome three shadow spectres each equipped with a different weapon.

'We need to ascertain the enemy defences and position. Find their city, their remaining troops that fled and report back to me but do not engage the enemy. Inform me of their defences and preparations.' Pang Tong ordered. The spectres bowed respectfully to him as they made their way out of the forests. Pang Tong heard something shuffle behind him in the forests he looked behind him before chuckling.

'The witness is also here, excellent. That should make things easier.'

A few days later Pang Tong exited the city and as he was about to enter the forest he stopped suddenly and chuckled.

'Some may consider being spied upon an insult, master Congqian.' Pang Tong turned around and saw him clad in his simple attire armed with his blade sheathed.

'Indeed, however one can never be too careful master strategist. Especially with people like you around.'

'Hehe, is that so? Well I thought as allies we would have a degree of trust, especially as we essentially saved you all to fight another day.'

'For which we appreciate that, however I could not help but wonder what you are plotting considering what you put our prisoner through.' Congqian admitted.

'Quite, my apologies for that. These methods aren't my favourite way for extracting information but with this particular group of people they can be...stubborn.' Pang Tong chuckled while Congqian stared at him with a serious expression.

'The queen never agreed to help you fight gods, had she known...'

'Whether or not that information would've changed her mind about this alliance is irrelevant. We are in an alliance now whether you personally agree or not.'

'She can always break that and cast you all out you know.'

'And where would that leave her? Do you believe we wouldn't defend ourselves ferociously? You know as well as I do, that would leave both forces exhausted leading to Zhang Yan eliminating us both in the next siege.' Pang Tong chuckled yet again though his laughter was more sinister.

'But do not worry, we are not plotting to take over or harm the bandit queen in any way, I am merely fulfilling my promise of obtaining information. However master Congqian, its interesting how you view us with suspicion where, we should be more suspicious of you and your queen.'

'What do you mean?'

'You are an intelligent man, you do not need me to explain that to you. The queen does not have any intention of going on the offensive, does she?' Congqian looked away, averting his gaze away from him. He knew the queen was playing it safe and have been for a while.

'She is just making sure her people are protected.'

'Indeed, though you know all too well that is the wrong decision for her to make, for while she is busy recovering, Zhang Yan is doing the same and unlike her, Zhang yan has better connections to the imperial Han and holds a lot of territory in his name. If we do not move as a unified front, she will meet her demise.' Congqian averted his gaze further from Pang Tong and growled slightly as he knew he was correct. However the queen has made up her mind, it was his duty to serve her. What else could he do?

'And what would you have me do then if I already tried all I can?' He questioned, curious as to what he was planning.

'Well, the queen is still human is she not? Even though she may not fight like one she can bleed like any other...which means she can think like one as well. We must put her back on the path she was meant to walk. Hehehe, this reminds me of a tale I heard in my adventures.'