Chapter 54

A unit of Cao Cao's soldier bypass the front gate and instead opts to enter the castle from the west gate instead hoping to ambush the defenders, they moved more slowly hugging the castles walls closely as they traverse to the gate now knowing that the archers have been dealt with. The castles wall edges on the border of the forest with thick trees. Armed with mainly spears and shields they march however some stop as they hear a soft growl from the forest.

'What was that?'

'I don't know, a forest creature maybe?' A few of the soldiers start speculating on the noise before the captain of the regiment silences them.

'Don't worry about it, its probably just some boar. Beasts like that know not to attack us in large numbers. Let's keep moving. We need to occupy the castle as soon as possible by flanking the enemy.' The rest of the soldiers quickly turned silent and continued to march towards the gate however one soldiers spotted something in the forest a little further beyond the border. A faint yet alluring bright blue light emanating from the darkness. He wanted to know what exactly it was, so he broke off ranks to investigate further. It was silly he knows but he can't help it. His comrades quickly notice this.

'Hey where are you going?' One asks as he sees them getting closer to the forest's boarder. Though their comrade wouldn't respond and just kept walking closer. One decides to rush up to him and stands next to him.

'Hey didn't you hear us? Where are you going?' He questioned before he looks up to see the light as well.

'That's where, you have any idea what that is?'

'No idea.' He responded also curious of the origins.

'Hey you two what are you doing? Hurry up!' One yelled at them, breaking them out of their trance.

'Yeah we're coming!' He looks to his comrade and grabs a hold of his shoulder before walking away. The first soldier looked at the bright light though he resisted the temptation to walk further in and started to walk away. Although as he did he heard a terrifying snarl. He hesitated to look behind him however as he did all he saw was a set of sharp jaws open to reveal a large mouth. The other soldier heard him scream and turn back to find Diamondback digging his teeth into his comrade's skull as he's tackled to the ground. Diamondback looked up and stands over the fresh corpse with his circular shield in his left hand and his halberd in the right. Blood trickling from his jaws as he smiles demonically at the enemy. The soldier looked horrified and was too frightened to even scream especially as diamondback soldiers formerly yellow turbans begin to emerge behind him however instead of yellow they wear pure black tunics with black bandanas with the centre of them displaying a green serpent with its mouth open as if trying to strike its prey. Each soldier has red piercing eyes and a dastardly smirk, armed with either a single sword or axe ready to be stained. The soldier started to back up and turn to flee however the moment he turned diamondback impaled him with his halberd. It pained him so much as he looked down and sees his hands and the ground below stained in his own blood. Yet he can't scream he can only wheeze before Diamondback pushed him to the ground. He removed the halberd and crushed his skull with his right foot. He extended his halberd out to the marching unit as they all seemed eager to get into the fray.

'For the serpent!' He yelled as all his soldiers rush past him, eager to attack the enemy. Cao Cao's flanking force looked to their side to see the horde of new soldiers.

'The enemy is here too!?'

'What do we do?'

'Quick get into formation! Engage the enemy!' The captain ordered as they attempted to get into formation while moving forward as to not put their backs literally against the wall however they engaged the enemy too soon and weren't able to get into a shield wall like formation and so the Diamondbacks forces were able to overrun them. Cao Cao's troops attempted to put up a good fight however they were too fatigued and were outnumbered. They appeared too suddenly for them as the slaughter began. The captain of the regiment looked around at all the carnage around him. He saw one of his comrades get his wrist cut off as his enemy slashed his sword upwards, sliced his stomach immediately afterwards and side steps while positioning their sword perfectly to impale his skull as the body falls. He looked to the opposite side to see his comrade get tackled before brutally getting stabbed repeatedly by two enemies. He then spotted Diamondback who horizontally attacks one of his subordinates, impaling him with the halberds spikes and lifted him up in the air only to slam him down behind him. The warrior coughed up blood as he made impact with the ground. Diamondback turned and glares at the captain who doesn't move despite the screaming off his comrades echoing all around him. He deviously snarls and smirks as he beckoned the captain to come at him as he plants his halberd into his subordinates' gut.