Chapter 58

Mitsuko's small army traverses the plains of China, they wonder around following their leader after their rather brutal battle at Xia Pi. Only a small amount of troops are those that belonged to her former unit as the rest were either scattered or slain, the rest are the black turbans that were under the command of Diamondback. The soldiers tend to keep to themselves as they tolerate each other for unit cohesion though there is a clear divide between the two sides, both viewing each other with suspicion. Though Mitsuko's officers which consist of her three demons, Pang Tong and LingQi march behind her as Mitsuko herself leads the small unit, where to though she doesn't have an idea. They've been traversing the unit for a couple of days however the supplies that were brought from the black turbans are quickly diminishing. Due to the nature of the battle of Xia Pi Mitsuko's unit couldn't grab any supplies before being able to flee from the battle. Pang Tong makes his way to Mitsuko side, noticing how silent she is.

'How are you holding up my lady?' Mitsuko was surprised to see Pang Tong suddenly appear beside her. Though soon after she regained her composure.

'Oh hey, I'm all right why do you ask?' She asked, trying to keep up appearances.

'Oh no reason, just that its all so deathly silent all around, thought you may have had some words of courage to help boost up morale.'

'Oh yeah, sorry its just I'm trying to find something to help with that, once we get some supplies their morale should be fine then.'

'Maybe, but an encouraging word or two from their leader may help that as well you know.'

'Well what do you want me to say to them? That everything will be ok and just give them empty promises?' Mitsuko replied harshly.

'Not quite, its just more reassurance that some progress is being made, the effect the words have on people are underestimated.' Pang Tong advises.

'And then what happens? What happens if we don't get any supplies, what then? I would pretty much just gave them empty hope before they starve wouldn't I? Is that really what a good leader should do!? Fill them up with hope just to watch it all fade away in front of them?' Mitsuko replied with a harsh tone. Pang Tong seemed unfazed however Mitsuko regretted her words and sighed.

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that its just...look I don't want to raise morale until I know for sure we actually have some is all.' Mitsuko explained.

'Would this have anything to do with the previous battle.' Pang Tong inquired. Mitsuko gritted her teeth, she didn't really want to admit it was that though nothing much gets by him. Nevertheless she attempted to get out of this anyway. She didn't really want to talk or think about it.

'What of course not. I'm just...trying to be practical is all.'

'Practicality is all well and good however would you say that fleeing away from the past is a practical way of dealing with things?' Mitsuko growls though she doesn't reply. She didn't have anything to say, she couldn't say anything. She knows what he was getting at however...she just can't face it at the moment. She was always one to look forward, never back. She was moving on, that's what she did best just moving on.

'Well in any event, just remember all your soldiers are ready for your orders and to assist you whenever you need them to my lady.' Pang Tong chuckles before slowing his pace down to fall behind Mitsuko. As he returned to his normal walking speed, LingQi quickly went next to him.

'What was that about?' She curiously asked.

'Oh nothing, just wondering if our lady has an objective is all, she just seemed quiet recently' Pang Tong chuckles again. LingQi gave Pang Tong a stern glare but then quickly looked at Mitsuko, unbeknownst to her, her face relaxes from a stern glare to a concerned stare.