Chapter 101

Once the rations were obtained by Mitsuko's forces they marched out of the city, towards Zhang Yans capital. Night had dawned on the city since then, the night was dark illuminated only by the stars and the full moon as Zheng Jiang stood out of the balcony and looked at them. Her mind flickering to the altercation with Mitsuko in the main hall. She hasn't been able to get it out of her mind, even though she had already left the city. Even though she was on the battlefield numerous times and there were times where she was in danger, yet she never was as frightened for her life as she was then. She felt that fear for a brief moment as she traced her fingers around her neck where she was held at by one of Mitsuko's serpents. As she breathed in and exhaled her voice was somewhat quivering, struggling to comprehend that earlier on today actually happened. She never expected Mitsuko to do that of all things but...what other choice did she have? To go along in open battle? That wasn't part of her normal strategy, guerrilla warfare was her style and that of her soldiers. It was the bandit way. There was no guarantee that any assault on Zhang Yan was the correct play, of course she wanted to do it more than anything else. But...she had to consider her people.

Although there is something even she couldn't deny when Mitsuko brought it up. Zhang Yan knows where she is and will surely attempt another assault. But still...despite everything, she had to put her people first, she had to. She would find a way to keep them safe without putting her soldiers in harms way. Yet...despite herself telling her this, she did not like the idea of it at all but she knew it had to be done. Right? As she was lost in thought a knock on the door brought her back to the present.

'My lady the scouts have reported back may I come in?' She heard Gai Shu's voice muffled beyond the closed door.

'Yes come in.' She ordered. Gai Shu immediately entered the room and closed the door behind her. She turned around to see Gai Shu standing there without Lu Zheng which puzzled her.

'Where's Lu Zheng? She was out on patrol a long time and I expected a long report for it.' Zheng Jiang asked. Gai Shu glanced to the ground for a brief moment.

'I...I will take you to her, please follow me.' Zheng Jiang was confused by his tone of voice but complied with his request.

'Ok, but I don't know why she couldn't come here herself.' Gai Shu and Zheng Jiang silently made their way back into the main hall where no other guards were in sight save 2 scouts that were dispatched to find Lu Zheng...along with her corpse. As soon as her eyes caught Lu Zheng they widened with fear and rushed to her side as soon as possible. She cradled her lifeless body, tears were already threatening to escape her eyes. Gai Shu could only look to the ground and continued to walk towards her as his wife struggled to keep it together.

'What happened?' She questioned the scouts who dared not utter a word. She carefully placed her on the floor before standing up.

'I said what happened!?' Her voice was raised and also becoming hoarse as she demanded to know what happened to her sworn sister. Both the scouts trembled, fearing that the bandit queen will retaliate and focus her wrath on them.

'While patrolling, they were ambushed by Zhang Yans forces. They never stood a chance. We found her body away the troops, it seemed she may have been fleeing when she was caught and struck with an arrow. If she wasn't caught she may have made it all the way back. Though they never saw it coming, we couldn't locate any other survivors my queen.' One mustered up the courage to say. Zheng Jiang said nothing and crouched down next to her sworn sister again and cradling her.

'That is all, thanks for the update you're both dismissed.' Gai Shu dismissed them, they bowed and immediately left leaving Gai Shu and Zheng Jiang alone. He crouched next to the corpse and laid a hand on her shoulder knowing that both her wings have now been ripped away from her. By Zhang Yan. He couldn't say anything as he knew he wouldn't make things better by trying to comfort her. The guilt he felt a year upon knowing his sister's death when he first came back to the city crept back to haunt him once again. Another of his wife's friends died, he blamed himself for if he was there sooner none of this wouldn't have happened, he tells himself.