Chapter 43

A couple of days had passed since then. Mitsuko began to take up more responsibilities by organising the defences of the castle and the garrison, overlooking the training of soldiers. Once LingQi realised this she took a step back careful to not get in the way or confront Mitsuko at all. Not because she didn't want to do it herself but because she figured that this would help Mitsuko in the long run, especially if she wants to be considered as a prominent general in her father's army. Though the majority of the forces stationed here were Mitsuko's men anyway, for LingQi leading them when they were led by Mitsuko felt weird, wrong almost. She was patrolling the interior of the castle making sure everyone did their jobs and spotted Mitsuko leaning on the wall watching her soldiers train hard under Wu Zi and Zang Ba.

'I see they're working hard' Mitsuko glances behind her to see LingQi standing behind her. She turns back towards her troopers and smirked.

'Damn right they are, this castle isn't going to defend itself you know.'

'You're correct but do be careful to make sure they're not pushed too hard. We can't have them feeling exhausted for if an attack does happen.' Mitsuko turns around and looks at LingQi with a bewildered expression on her face.

'Really? This coming from you of all people?'

'Of course. Because I know the dangers of over exertion all too well, wouldn't it make sense that only I'm the one capable of giving them such advice?' LingQi wears a lopsided smirk as Mitsuko went to open her mouth but realised that she may have had a point there. She simply growled before returning to watch her troopers get dismissed by her two officers.

'You may have a point...still you should really take your own advice.' Mitsuko advised her, concern present in her voice.

'Perhaps, though you should do the same. I heard that you overdid it the day the main army left and was left exhausted.' Mitsuko did not dare to answer out of embarrassment. She didn't know that LingQi would know about that. She didn't dare tell her that she wanted to be busy to prevent herself from thinking about the potential wedding.

'Ah shit. I just had to think about that didn't I?' Mitsuko mentally curses herself.

'Well...I at least learned myself and won't do that much again. You should do the same.' Mitsuko replied.

'Hmm...maybe you're right about that.' LingQi remembers the conversation with Pang Tong the other night all too well. Though it is still difficult for her to refrain from training in the night even with his words clinging onto the walls of her mind.

'I am? I mean of course I am.' Mitsuko attempted to change her tone from bewilderment of her statement to confidence however it didn't work as LingQi couldn't help but stifle a laugh. She went silent though once Wu Zi and Zang Ba walked over to Mitsuko.

'So lady Mitsuko what do you think of your troops now then? Think they're strong?'

'Erm...sure. But not sure why you're asking me. You're the ones training them I'm just here making sure they're ok.'

'Of course but you must have some opinion since they are your troops after all.' Zang Ba remarked.

'Well sure but seems like they're doing fine, can't really comment on more than that.' LingQi seeing that Mitsuko is having a little trouble forming words wanted to help her.

'I must agree, they are much stronger than they were initially. You must be proud of your troopers Mitsuko. But I do wonder though, which one of you two is the main cause of that?'

'Me!' they both point to themselves, they look at each other in confusion followed by anger.

'You? Please you just stand there and be silent while I push them until they collapse.'