Chapter 124

There is only one dance I can remember the moves to.

The Hokey-Pokey.

I memorised it when I was eight, because Devin loved it, though he would probably bludgeon me to death if I so much as mentioned it now.

The fact that the instructions are in the actual song probably helped a lot...

So yea, with the one exception of the Hokey Pokey,

I. Can. Not. Dance.

I'm a fighter damn it. All I know how to do is brawl, I don't have the attention span to memorise a formal dance style, and freestyle just makes me feel like I'm jerking around aimlessly like a damn jellyfish.

Also, I'm just plain obnoxious when it comes to rhythm.

And....and...

And even if I didn't have a million excuses to avoid dancing in all shapes and form, there was no reason why I should have to sit on someone's shoulder as they ballroom dance with their fiancée. The fiancée they had just deeply betrayed, fought against and gotten expelled from school.

It's just wrong people.

"Here I was, under the impression that we were trying to fight our way through extreme peril, overcoming all odds to defeat the forces of evil." I hissed furiously in Apollo's ear, clutching his collar as he spun sickeningly across the dance floor. "Since when did we have time for you to play Prince Charming with your girlfriend?"

And of course, the damn copycat was perfect at it, dancing with the same grace and skill I had seen him fight with. Which was great for him, but from the perspective of a miniature person sitting on his shoulder, it was like sitting on a show ride.

"She is not my girlfriend!" He shot back so indignantly I nearly laughed. I was sure that behind the mask, Apollo was turning crimson with mortification, and this was coming from the boy who had suggested I strip naked that one time he tried to drown me in icy water.

"Then why the hell are we dancing with her!?" I yelped as Apollo performed another tight twirl.

"She dragged me into it!"

"Escape damn you! It's not like she's the sea beast of the deep! Dump her and run for it!"

"In case you didn't notice Maddison, You're free to get off whenever you like."

"So what, you're only an insensitive asshole when it comes to me then?!"

"For the love of... The last thing I need right now is you bitching in my ear."

"Excuse me...?!

"Apollo."

That single, quiet word silenced our bickering and brought us back to the fact that we were technically dancing with another person.

That person being Robin Linquesta.

Strangely enough, I had hardly recognised the air-headed girl when she had suddenly halted Apollo as he tried to cross unnoticed around the dance floor.

The crimson, black waisted dress she wore looked stunning against Robin's warm skin tone, the gown unfurling from the waist to twirl just below the knee. Her brown curls were pinned elegantly up with black beads and rubies shaped like red flowers. She wore a sort of choker necklace thing that matched her hair ornaments, the only thing providing some sort of cover to her bared neck and shoulders.

Even now, Robin's honey-coloured eyes watched us seriously from behind a black mask, shaped to resemble a bird, with the pattern of feathers carved delicately into its ebony surface and a long feather, falling like a red ribbon from one side.