Chapter 132

{Apollo}

Four years ago.

My brother was undeniably bright.

We both excelled at academics and the martial arts, but where I seemed to pick such things up naturally, my brother threw himself wholeheartedly into every lesson. Eager and passionate, he treated the knowledge I took for granted as a treasure.

He shone with happiness. With his golden curls, sapphire eyes and warm skin, all inherited from father, he radiated light.

Even so, it was hard to hate him for it.

Because, above all else, my brother-

"Apollo, please come down...."

"No."

"Please Apollo...."

"No."

"....Polly..."

An apple flew from my hand, bludgeoning my brother across the forehead and knocking him to the ground.

"Don't call me that."

-Was a complete idiot.

"...Apollo...."Artemis groaned pitifully, laying sprawled on the grass in a mess of long limbs. Not only had the jerk inherited our father's sunny features, but had somehow managed to score his height as well.

Where I took after mother and got to look like a doll, for the rest of my life.

Further enraged by the reminder, I glared dispassionately down at my brother from my seat high up in the Apple tree, already grabbing another apple in preparation for when he tried to get back up.

I wasn't going to forgive him for this.

Not ever.

"Ow ow ow..." Artemis hissed as pushed himself up into a sitting position, adjusting the silver-rimmed glasses he needed, but father hated seeing him wear.

Cause being short-sighted just wasn't good enough for the eldest son of the Mc'Valium family.

"Apollo, you can't keep sulking up there forever...." As I raised my arm holding the apple, Artemis quickly backed off, glancing pleadingly towards Robin, where she sat peacefully sketching against the trunk of the tree.

"It's not that bad...Tell him, Robin...."

The fourteen-year-old girl lifted her gaze from her sketchbook, meeting my brother's eyes seriously.

"Apollo in an Apple Tree...." She murmured, as if deep in philosophical thought.

"...Apple-O"

As Artemis and I stared at her in pained silence, Robin just returned to her drawing with a satisfied nod.

"I appreciate the effort, Robin... But I think it's going to take more than a joke to get Apollo down from there..." Artemis winced, getting up and brushing the grass from the legs...

"What a surprise," I muttered sarcastically. "It's going to take more than some crappy joke to help me deal with the fact that my idiot brother is going to get himself killed because he's so determined to piss off the Underground."

"Apollo..." Artemis began warningly, but I paid no attention to the sudden darkness in my brother's tone.

"Noooo. The damn idiot joins the hill, even though I told him it was stupid, and then decides that he wants to put an end it and get in trouble with the most dangerous organisation in the world! Because he's a stupid, insensitive ass, who doesn't care..."