Chapter 169

Go.

As in... Leave Robin here alone...

With Him.

That... was a plan to rival my stair-climbing adventure in stupidity.

No doubt about it. Leaving Robin here was incredibly risky... Even careless.

And I wasn't the only one bulking at the thought.

Despite still being angry, even wary of the petite girl, Alex looked about ready to drag her out of here himself... And upset even more so because he couldn't.

I could easily recognise the grumpy grimace on the small child's face...and finally realised how much Frustration had always played a part in Alex's perpetual foul mood.

He hated being helpless.

Nigel, despite being the strongest person in the room right now, was completely indecisive. The Joker shifted anxiously, obviously not liking this turn of events, but chose not to voice his own trepidation.

Instead, Nigel searched our faces for an answer... And when I stayed grimly silent... He looked to Vain.

Who actually seemed to be considering the option, facing the problem with calm calculation.

Of course.

Unlike us, Vain wasn't emotional... Or stubbornly moral... Or completely irresponsible.

Yea, the three of us weren't exactly kept around for our... decision-making skills.

But Vain was my childhood friend.

When it comes to bossing idiots around so that they don't get themselves killed...

He is a Master.

Vain wasn't looking at Robin.

He was looking the sword at her side.

He saw the threat she held.

The grim fact that this was our best option.

Shooting Jack or forcing her would only turn Robin against us.

The only question was... Would it be worth it?

Would the security and satisfaction from killing Jack be worth Robin's ire? All the backlash that came with the terrible deed of killing someone in cold blood?

Vain's gaze went from studying Robin's back... to Jack.

Vain was undeniably tempted.

Even as a kid, it was obvious Vain was never really a fan of people. He had a way of seeing flaws and was harshly judgemental at the best of times. Despite this, I rarely had the feeling that he hated anyone...

In the same way, you don't hate a cockroach... Just tolerate its way of life and decide not to befriend it.

Vain hated Jack. Wanted to hurt him.

It was scary, ugly almost... But it was real.

Which made his restraint all the more impressive.

Vain was a leader. Strong enough to make the tough decisions.

He wouldn't risk pissing Robin off... Not if he didn't have to.

He wouldn't choose her safety over our lives.

He wouldn't let his hatred for Jack blind him to what had changed.