Chapter 100

"Jack?" Artemis began, confusion obvious on his face. "Who's...?"

"Tell him we're not here!" Nigel pleaded, cutting his hand across his throat in the 'No way' sign.

"If he didn't know that we are in here, he wouldn't be knocking Nigel." I hissed back.

"Okay... Then... You can go out and ask him what he wants..."

"Why do I have to do it?!

There was a long pause as Nigel tried to think of a reason.

"...because... the reason why he always trying to torture you is.... is because he's secretly in love with you and wants your attention?" Nigel gave me puppy dog eyes.

In return, I gave him the eyes I use when I swerve to run puppy dogs over.

"...Convincing? No. Insulting? Very. Better luck next time, Nige."

"Then what about....!"

Before Nigel could finish the room suddenly jolted, causing us all to stumble on our feet.

"Great." I hissed as grating sounds echoed through the room. "Looks like he's not waiting for us to open the door anymore."

All the rooms in isolation could be pulled out of the wall like a drawer and carried.

It was obvious from the room's movements that if we weren't going to come out, Jack was just going to take the entire room, with us inside.

"Would someone please just tell me who this Jack fellow is?" Artemis pleaded, catching my arm as I stumbled towards him.

"He's pretty much what you'd get if Spider-man bit the boogie man," Nigel explained unhelpfully, I sent him a look that warned him to shut up before I threw him outside as a sacrificial lamb.

"He was the Jack of the hill before I defeated him about two years ago," I explained, pulling my arm out of his grip as I regained my balance

"You're the Jack?" Artemis exclaimed in surprise, causing me to stiffen indignantly.

"Up until about a week ago, yes. What's with the surprised look?" I narrowed my eyes at him, but Artemis just shook his head.

"Honestly, I thought you guys were king and queen." He explained.

"....That's so sexist!" I cried and would have gone on a tirade if the room hadn't begun to tilt sickeningly.

"To the wall!"Artemis called a warning before grabbing my arm and dragging me along with him as we ran towards the back wall.

Just as we reached the wall, the room turned on its side, so that the wall we pressed against suddenly became the floor.

"Just because I'm a girl..." I started up again, climbing back to my feet angrily.

"Actually Love, I thought Nigel was the Queen." Artemis interrupted. "And you were the king."

That shut me up, Nigel and me exchanging a stunned look before we both burst into laughter.

"What gave you that impression?"I sniggered. "My sharp intellect maybe?"

"Mostly because he's protective of you," Artemis explained with a rueful smile. ".... And the way you boss him around might have had something to do with it..."

Nigel burst into laughter, and my expression soured.

"That doesn't even make sense!" I protested. "The King and Queen don't have to work together at all, you know!"

Artemis chuckled a little.

"... You're right Love, It's just... that's how the King and Queen worked when I was there... Of course, those two would have graduated before your time..."

Nigel was still laughing.

"Hey, Maddison." He began excitedly. "Wouldn't being King and Queen of the hill make us like a married couple?"

I had only taken one step towards Nigel, to beat him into unconsciousness naturally...

When the room was flipped upside down.

I cried out in alarm as the floor beneath me suddenly became the ceiling, bracing myself for impact as we fell.

I panicked.... but Artemis' face only showed concentration as the slim boy twisted mid-air, landing on the ceiling made floor in a low crouch. He stuck his arms out, catching me as I landed only a second later.

He stood, holding me in his arms....didn't even break a sweat.

....I'm SO lucky Artemis didn't fight back all those times I attacked him.

I would be dead.

"Ah...Thanks?" Was all that I could say as I hung bridal style in his arms.

That had to be the manliest thing I had ever seen, ever, and it had come from a guy smaller than me.

"You're welcome, sweetheart." Artemis nodded as he causally set me down.

"What about me?" Nigel groaned dramatically from where he lay face down on the floor.

The golden-haired boy hadn't been quite as lucky as me in the rescue department.

"Sorry about that." Artemis apologise as he went over to help Nigel to his feet. "But you are over a foot taller than me..... Even if I had had time to catch you, I probably would have ended up dropping you if I tried."

"It's not like it hurt you anyway," I muttered, and Artemis sent me a curious glance.

"Idiot boy wonder here literally can't feel pain," I explained, gesturing to Nigel with a shrug.

"Really?" Artemis raised an eyebrow in surprise.

"Yea! Oh, and I was the Joker by the way, not the queen." Nigel pointed to himself cheerfully. "Hero of the Hill!"

At this, Artemis looked ill. "If you're supposed to be the hero, I don't want to meet the villain..."

A small click drew my attention down.

"I hate to say this." I murmured, watching as the handle to the door..... that was now on the floor.... started to turn.
"But I think that you're about to."