Chapter 104

Garmen gasped in badly concealed agony as Jack shifted behind him, doing something that I couldn't see from my position in the giant Supervisor's hand.

Damn it.

My hands balled with frustration as I searched desperately around for something that I could do.

Anything.

But there wasn't anything a five-inch tall girl could do to help in this situation.

Hell, I didn't even know what Jack had done to Garmen.

But if Havoc's cold expression was anything to go by, I knew that it wasn't anything forgivable.

"Fight you?" Havoc asked, his furious grey eyes suddenly shifting to a glowing blue.

"Why would I do that?"

In a blur of supernatural speed Havoc leapt back, planting his feet on the wall and jumping off the vertical surface to flip over our heads.

Landing behind Jack.

"When all I have to do..."

The world suddenly tilted as, with a grunt of pain, Garmen stumbled forward.

"... is stop you from moving?"

"Hey!" I cried out in alarm, terrified that the giant man was about to fall over on top of me.

Coming to a stop against the wall where Havoc had stood only a second earlier, Garmen steadied himself with the hand that wasn't holding me.

"What happened!" I exclaimed, yanking on one of Garmen's fingers to draw his attention down to me. "What did he do?"

Breathing heavily, Garmen refused to answer me, turning his gaze to Havoc instead.

The slight man knelt on top of the unresisting Jack, pinning the boy to the floor with obvious ease.

Completely unperturbed, Jack watched us from where he lay face down on the floor, a knowing smile on his lips.

I felt a chill, quickly covering up my unease with a rude hand signal in Jack's direction.

... It wasn't as triumphant as I would have liked.

Holding the calm boy's wrists to the floor, Havoc lifted his gaze to stare at his wounded friend, some of the friendly Havoc returning to his eyes in the form of worry.

"Garmen....?"

"I'm fine," Garmen muttered, shifting so that he leant against the wall with his shoulder, freeing his hand to dump me into it.

With very little warning, I was tumbled into his other hand, swearing as I went. Of course, I would have protested more... if I didn't know that the man had a very good reason for the manhandling.

Using his liberated hand, Garmen reached around his back. "Just let me..."

Cutting off with a painful hiss, Garmen went rigid. A second later, something metallic clattered to the floor, and Garmen's hand returned, wet with blood.

Had Jack....?

"If this is fine, I don't want to see you on a bad day." I breathed, too shocked to put what I knew had happened into words, or even thought.

Aren't you supposed to leave that sort of thing in your body... So you don't bleed out...

"Don't worry. I'll get you all out of here safely." Garmen reassured me, shoving himself away from the wall.