Chapter 40

"I've changed my mind," I announced nervously, causing Vain to sigh.

"That's the third time in the last two minutes." He muttered, patience obviously wearing thin. "Hurry up and decide what you want to do Maddison, the park is just around this corner."

With each word he drew even closer to the park, sending my stress levels through the roof.

"Okay, I'll talk to him... No, wait! Let's hide in the bushes." I clutched my head in frustration. "I can't do this! Let's just forget the whole thing and run away together!"

Vain placed a tired hand to his temples, muttering something about "just staying in bed."

Despite the exasperated tone, there was no doubt in my mind, Vain would always make the same decision to help if given a chance.

As cold-hearted as he liked people to believe he was, Vain was one of the most responsible people I knew.

He never hesitates to face the consequences of the bad situations I would put us in, more often than not, taking the brunt of the emotional fallout.

I could even go so far to say he's selfless... except his insistence on insulting the intelligence of everyone involved discouraged most people from thinking he might actually be a nice guy.

"I've got it! Lets compromise." I perked up. "You talk to him, and I'll hide!"

Vain just shook his head, badly veiled disgust written across his face. "I'll talk to him, and you will nod and say you're sorry, clear?"

"But...!"

"I want to go back to bed tonight Maddison."

"...Fine."

We finally rounded the corner, walking into the small park. The park was nice and green, but only big enough to accommodate a picnic table, slide and a set of swing.

Simple as it might be, that never stopped me from finding and trialling every single hazard available, much to the horror of young Vain.

Devin sat on one of those swings, his serious face lit up by the light of the street lamps.

All the nervous butterflies in my stomach froze and dropped dead at the sight of the person sitting on the swing next to Devin.

Apollo.

"How...?! Why...!?" I choked, not believing my own eyes.

As he spoke to my brother, his expression remained neutral, but the forced boredom I had seen from him earlier was gone.

For a brief moment, I could have believed this wasn't the evil mastermind who had ruined my life sitting before me, but just some moody kid with an angsty hair cut.

Then Apollo looked up from his conversation with Devin, noticed us watching him, and smiled like a damn Cheshire Cat at our horrified looks.

Back to being creepy.

"Devin!" I cried, terror ripping through me.

I knew Apollo had no qualms about breaking the rules of the game. If that ruthlessness extended to actually hurting people who weren't even students at the school...

I didn't realise I had moved forward until Vain's giant fingers appeared in front of me, blocking me from leaping blindly from his shoulder.

"Wait!" He hissed, probably more worried about me getting myself injured than what was happening to my innocent baby brother.

"Maddison?" Devin asked, looking away from Apollo in surprise.

I stared helplessly at him from Vain's shoulder, the urgency to get him away from here making my hands tremble.

The smile slipped, and Apollo's face returned to its usual bored expression. Leaning causally in his swing, the dark haired boy slid an arm around my little brother's shoulders.

Vain and I froze at the movement, and the clear statement behind it.

Devin was already caught in the spiders web.

My brother sent Apollo a startled look, confused by the sudden proximity and why everyone seemed to be freaking out about it.

Apollo acknowledged the younger boy's nervousness with a small pat on the arm, but otherwise ignored the unspoken question.

Instead, he nodded towards me an Vain.

"Nice of you to finally show up." He commented bluntly, not seeming all that interested in the fact though.

I was rapidly turning red with anger, and if it hadn't been for Vain's hand intervening, I'd be attacking Apollo's ankles by now.

"Let's have a little chat."