Chapter 157

You see it in movies.

They just casually rip clothing, so the heroine can make bandages for the wounded rainbow ice-cream unicorn... or whatever.

Lies. It's all horrible, horrible lies.

The cold, harsh reality of life is that clothes don't conveniently rip like wet paper when you want them to.

A fact I recently discovered for myself as I sat on the floor tearing savagely at the seam of my gown like my life depended on it.

Or you know, a very desperate miniature girl running for her life and getting sick of tripping over a freaking ball gown of all things.

... To the point that she would waste precious time fixing up her outfit rather than escaping.

Everybody else is crazy around here, so if you can't beat them, join them.

"First it's King of the hill," I said bitterly to myself as I strained against the expensive material. "And now she wants to play tag? It's all just fun and games with this lady."

How can I sound so calm when all I really want to do is throw up? Throw up and crawl into a corner and cry.

"Traditionally, though, the person who is IT is supposed to be the one doing the chasing," I said.

Cause complaining somehow makes it seem like I have some control in my life.

"... And yea, the game doesn't normally involve death penalties for being caught, so how's that for unconventional?"

All in all, ranting in the middle of a giant hallway still wasn't the brightest of ideas.

But if I didn't let my mouth race, I'm pretty my heart would take its place.

"The Game is simple Maddison, yet I will take the time to explain it, as you are very stupid." I mocked in a whispery voice. "You run. In five minutes, I will send Jack to catch you. Alexander or Jack, whoever catches you first is the winner!"

And the prize. Is your life.

Tears of relief sprung to my eyes as the dress surrendered to my overwhelming power and the sound of tearing fabric graced my ears.

Good thing too. I didn't have time left to spare, especially not on looking fabulous.

Success only made me stronger, as I made quick work with the rest of the dress.

When it was done, I stood, with my hands in the air in the V of victory, with the breeze of freedom on my legs.

It almost made me want to see Dr Floid, one last time, just to witness the expression on her face when she saw what I had done to defeat her ultimate evil plan to trap me.

In a dress.

Though... The adjustments may have gone accidentally higher than I intended.... but at least I would be able to actually run now.

Speaking of which...

With the jump boots to aid me, I took off at full speed.

Nothing like a game of death tag in the buried ruins of a huge freaking laboratory... What was left of it after Alan's and Alex's little rebellion anyway.

"Next time... You blow something up... Do it thoroughly... " I gritted out as I ran, hoping that Peri would be kind enough to pass the message along.

That's right. Not only was there a giant room with supercomputer down here, but a (lab)yrinth fit for any horror scene.

The dark hallways were barely lit, only the odd fluorescent light in the maze of unending corners.