Chapter 172

To no one's surprise, The King of the Hill recovered from his display of human emotion with ease.... standing up with a cheerful smile and a comment on how adorable Alex was.

Even as his miniaturised brother grumbled, Alan's attention had turned to me... much to my despair.

"Maddison." Alan sang my name, bending to peer at me through the bars of the cage. "Who's your favourite senpai?"

I glared back at his too close face... suspicious.

...Senpai?

I expected to be in trouble... You know, for screwing up everything and dooming us all... But Alan seemed as cheerful as ever.

Too cheerful.

"Is this a trick question?"

Alan just hummed, smiling as he waited for my answer.

".... What happens to me if I don't choose the psycho who orchestrated eight of the ten worst moments of my life and corrupted my innocent, pure neighbour with illegal firearms?"

"You don't get this," Alex revealed what he had hidden in his pocket this entire time.

I stared.

A cute, heart-shaped...

Chocolate.

I was pressed up against the bars in an instant, clawing at the air between me and my prey.

"Give it to me. "

"I'm afraid it won't be so easy to mooch from me Maddison," Alan said, eyes twinkling with mirth. "Unlike my brother, I like to be asked nicely before I share my things."

Bully.

My lip trembled, eyes threatening to water as I resisted...

For all of two seconds.

"Please Alan." My hands clutched together as I begged. "I need it."

... Even if it's pocket chocolate and probably half-melted... I'm just that hungry.

Still, at the sight of me, grovelling Alan dramatically clutched at his chest, expression starstruck.

That is until Vain kicks him in the shin.

The red-head yelped in pain, crouching down to clutch his wounded leg.

Wait! Don't hurt my chocolate...

Alan looked up with a pout. "How could you ack-!"

Vain's foot stomped directly onto Alan's face and stayed there.

"Die disgusting pervert." The Albino commanded, his glacial glare fixated on the scum being crushed beneath his heel.

"I was only kidding," Alan mumbled, wincing when Vain ground his foot harder.

"I'm. Not. Laughing." Vain hissed, only removing his foot from the poor red-heads face when he proved as durable as a cockroach.

"Um... Maybe we should... " Nigel waved a vague hand forward, indicating that we should move. Once again, meekly pointing out the intelligent thing that we should all be doing.

... It really is a wonder that no one ever listens to him.

"Floid." Vain turned his attention to Alex. "Think that's enough to open the cage?"

The small boy stood expressionless, his eyes eerily focused.

"I probably could have done it without the help," Alex spoke slowly, not quite able to achieve the dryness the words deserved.