Chapter 91

Nigel winked. "I knew that you'd be starting to miss me about now...and we couldn't have that right!"

"Shut up," I muttered, glaring down at him with wet eyes. "I was doing just fine without you here to annoy the crap out of me!"

Please tell me he didn't get himself thrown in here just to stalk me...

Nigel's grin softened into a smile. He reached a still costumed hand up to rest his paw on my head.

"I know Maddison... You're the bravest person I've ever met." He gave a rueful grin. "Truth be told, I'm here because I got busted fighting at the hospital... You know.... again."

"Idiot," I muttered, wiping a frustrated hand against my eyes. "Such an idiot."

And of course, he wouldn't have been allowed to stay at home like I did, not with his almost constant need for medical supervision...

"It's okay." Nigel suddenly sat up, causing me to yelp as I was repositioned into his lap. "The good thing is that I get to hang out with you again, and at the right size too...! Though I'm going to miss my mini Maddison."

He held a paw out, palm up, sending the surface a longing look. "She was so cute. All small and blushing. Like a delicate rose. Or a tomato."

"Shut up and let me go, pervert." I glared at him, struggling to climb out of his hold.

".... Pervert? " Nigel gave me a hurt look as he loosened his hold on me. "...But you're the one who ploughed into me. I have many witnesses..."

I gave a strangled growl in answer, looking up to realise that, yes, we did, in fact, have an audience.

"Do you people seriously not have anything better to do other than study my life?" I growled at the entire crowd of onlookers, patients and supervisors alike.

The fact that I hadn't shouted the words was all the warning they needed.

Very suddenly, the onlookers realised that they were actually very busy doing other things and most begun to move on.

I sighed, suddenly feeling very light-headed. I really shouldn't have worked so hard on an empty stomach...

"Well, this sucks." Havoc complained, crossing his arms and pouting as he watched Nigel and me.

"How so?" Garmen asked.

"I finally get some hope of actually defeating you and your puny crickets, and then my star player starts fraternising with the enemy!"

He raised a fist, glaring at the heavens in frustration.

"Why?! Why did this have to happen to me?! Tragic romance ruins everything! Especially sport!"

"Seriously Havoc? Have you been sniffing your pheromones again?" Garmen raised a sceptical eyebrow.

"Yes, but that is beside the point."

"Both of you can shut up because It's isn't like that." I snapped at the gossiping men. Causing them both to pause and look down at me with raised eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah? Then what is he to you then?" Havoc asked suspiciously, unwilling to get his hopes up.

I glanced down at Nigel, seeing that he was staring up at me eagerly.

"He's my dog."

Nigel slouched over in defeat, completely crestfallen.

"Ohhh. Now I see it." Havoc noted in a voice full of understanding.

"That makes much more sense." Garmen agreed quietly.

"Not that it's any of your business anyway," I muttered darkly, turning away from them.

"What are you doing playing anyway, idiot?" I asked with a sigh, reaching to help the wounded boy up. "More importantly, don't you think you should get one of the Supervisors to check you out for... I don't know, internal bleeding?"

"I should be fine." Nigel smiled cheerfully at me as he climbed to his feet, his happiness returning with the attention.

Nigel, being even taller than the Floid siblings, pretty much dwarfed me with his long limbs. Realistically, my 'assistance' in helping him up probably hadn't done much.

"That's the reason why Havoc made me wear this protective suit in the first place," Nigel explained excitedly.

I winced, shaking my head, using the movement to subtly clear away some of the dizziness from my head. "Ah... Knowing Havoc, I'm pretty sure he only said that because he wanted to make you his mascot."

"How unfair!" Havoc gasped at my accusations. "That's completely untrue!"

We all waited a moment for him to continue, to try to explain or justify himself, but no, that was it.

In the end, we all silently agreed to let it go.

"I can't believe you sent a kid who can't feel pain out to play a contact sport." Garmen scolded.

"Cricket isn't a contact sport!"

"It is when Maddison is playing."

"That's not my fault! You..."

Their argument was drowned out my increasing ringing sound in my ears.

I glanced at Nigel, dully noticing that he was looking at me with an alarmed expression.

Before I could ask him what was wrong, I blinked, and I couldn't remember opening my eyes again.

The next thing I knew, I was laying on the floor, Nigel's panicked face hovering above my own.

"Maddison? Are you okay?"

I could feel his arms clutching at me, painfully tight, and dazedly I stared at his worried eyes.

"-ungry," I mumbled.

"Oh... looks like she has overworked herself." Havoc's gentle voice murmured from somewhere above. "You should have fed her before you made her play Garmen."

"In my defence, It was the only way I was going to bribe her into doing my bidding," Garmen admitted in an equally soft tone... Though still kind of evil...

"I honestly thought that the game would end almost instantly with that sort of motivation."

"-ut up nnn -eed me," I muttered, closing my eyes so that the room would stop spinning.

"Allow me." Garmen politely murmured.

A moment later, I was being scooped up by giant fingers and lifted into the air.

Even though I had had a good sleep in this morning, I decided to have a little nap.

That's right, it was totally my idea...